Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2020, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooks333 Quote
Been converting more shots to B&W lately. Suggestions welcome!
Gorgeous shot

11-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
Very nice picture, the Iris looks like a very interesting lens as well and I am looking for a wide lens at a lower cost.
I'd certainly recommend it. I have the Blackstone version and love how solidly built it is - the focus ring in particular feels wonderful in use. Optically, the colors and sharpness are fantastic and exceeded my expectations. Only minor quibbles I have are that my lens hood was a bit stiff for the first few months before loosening up and the lens produces some pretty nasty halos if pointed anywhere near the sun. The halos have typically been far enough out at the edges where I can crop them out without ruining the shot, but I've also had a few images ruined because of some associated flare. All in all, I'm a very happy Irix owner!
11-03-2020, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
nice shot of a nice landscape
12-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #19

Been converting more shots to B&W lately. Suggestions welcome!
Great landscape, fab view. The B&W is good but can't help feeling colour would be better for this.

12-21-2020, 02:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I likey

Just scrolling the photo down to form a sort of crop I quite like it without the fore ground rock at the same time it seems to highlight the diagonal ridge which then runs from the bottom left corner leading the eye towards the light and needle.

Just my thoughts but feel a bit embarrassed suggesting them with such a lovely photo.
12-21-2020, 08:05 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kinega Quote
Great landscape, fab view. The B&W is good but can't help feeling colour would be better for this.
Here's the color version. I gave it some thought, but ultimately decided the B&W did a better job drawing my eye to the needle and emphasizing the texture and shape that I wanted to be the essence of the image. Would certainly be curious to hear your thoughts though!

---------- Post added 12-21-20 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
I likey

Just scrolling the photo down to form a sort of crop I quite like it without the fore ground rock at the same time it seems to highlight the diagonal ridge which then runs from the bottom left corner leading the eye towards the light and needle.

Just my thoughts but feel a bit embarrassed suggesting them with such a lovely photo.
Your embarrassment is misplaced as you've hit upon the thing I probably struggled most with in my post-processing, which is what to do with that very prominent rock in the foreground. As someone else mentioned earlier, its quite bright for starters, so I took care of that as best I could. But yeah, the cropping...I played around with different crops a LOT and there's definitely merit to your idea of cropping it out to get that diagonal line. At the end of the day, I wasn't willing to do it since it meant I would have to give up a few things. First, the depth that comes from having the foreground. Second, leaving it in also almost invites me to just walk out into the photo and take in the surroundings, which I like. And third, it adds a bit of thirds to the photo. All that said, that rock turned out to be a real nuisance and if I could shoot it again I would probably try to find a way to have it not be so prominent.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Jon
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
12-22-2020, 01:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Here's the color version. I gave it some thought, but ultimately decided the B&W did a better job drawing my eye to the needle and emphasizing the texture and shape that I wanted to be the essence of the image. Would certainly be curious to hear your thoughts though!

Your embarrassment is misplaced as you've hit upon the thing I probably struggled most with in my post-processing, which is what to do with that very prominent rock in the foreground. As someone else mentioned earlier, its quite bright for starters, so I took care of that as best I could. But yeah, the cropping...I played around with different crops a LOT and there's definitely merit to your idea of cropping it out to get that diagonal line. At the end of the day, I wasn't willing to do it since it meant I would have to give up a few things. First, the depth that comes from having the foreground. Second, leaving it in also almost invites me to just walk out into the photo and take in the surroundings, which I like. And third, it adds a bit of thirds to the photo. All that said, that rock turned out to be a real nuisance and if I could shoot it again I would probably try to find a way to have it not be so prominent.

Jon
Thanks for the reply and insight Jon. I can see what you mean and it all helps with my learning process

12-22-2020, 04:31 AM   #23

Gorgeous tones! Congrats!
12-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #24

Jon
Yes, I prefer the colour. Its a fab colour sky & the middle section also.
As others have said that foreground rock is just too prominent, if it could be toned down a bit I think it would be a big improvement.