Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 08:57 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weaver’s Needle
Lens: Irix 15mm Camera: K1 mk ii Photo Location: Peralta Canyon ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F5.6 

Been converting more shots to B&W lately. Suggestions welcome!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
02-15-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent.
02-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great use of B&W and the Rule of Thirds. That peak on the right is almost perfectly placed.

The clouds also have an ominous feel.

One of the best landscapes I have seen in a while.
02-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only suggestion would be to keep making photos like this!

02-17-2020, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Excellent.
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Great use of B&W and the Rule of Thirds. That peak on the right is almost perfectly placed.

The clouds also have an ominous feel.

One of the best landscapes I have seen in a while.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My only suggestion would be to keep making photos like this!
Thanks all for for such positive feedback! And @luftfluss, I just bought myself a polarizing filter for my Irix 15mm and definitely plan on putting it to good use!
04-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot and well developed. Did that hike a few years ago -- it's always fun hiking in the Superstitions, checking every canyon wall and crevice, hoping in vain to find the Lost Dutchman's mine … Looks like you found your own version of gold!
04-28-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Perfect wide shot of the needle. The only time I had chance to photograph the needle it was sunny and hazy. Love to see it in that kind of light.

04-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Nice shot and well developed. Did that hike a few years ago -- it's always fun hiking in the Superstitions, checking every canyon wall and crevice, hoping in vain to find the Lost Dutchman's mine … Looks like you found your own version of gold!
Thanks! I'm still pretty new to the Valley and have only gotten a little taste of the Supes so far. Can't wait to do more exploring out there - the landscape is surreal. Superstition ridgeline and some canyon adventures are high up on my list.
06-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you really love B&W shots, you might consider using B&W film. The use of yellow, red or orange filters is a proven technique for this esoteric art.
06-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
Forum Member

This is a very nice photo. It is very sharp and the sky has some drama. The black and white conversion was well done and the scene works well in the panoramic perspective.
09-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice photo indeed, those clouds are beautiful in their symmetry. I'd darken the foreground rock on the right a tiny bit, as shown it's the brightest part of the image and I find it a little distracting.
09-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Nice photo indeed, those clouds are beautiful in their symmetry. I'd darken the foreground rock on the right a tiny bit, as shown it's the brightest part of the image and I find it a little distracting.
Its actually already darkened a decent amount, but I agree that a bit more wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the feedback!
10-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very well balanced and interesting layout. At least three levels of depth and variation in tonality from front to back serves you well. Of course sharp and clear, but I wonder, is f5.6 considered a sweet spot of the irix 15? I think the combination of 5.6/1000 (for landscape) seems a little too “speedy” to me for such a lens-camera duo.
10-20-2020, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
Very well balanced and interesting layout. At least three levels of depth and variation in tonality from front to back serves you well. Of course sharp and clear, but I wonder, is f5.6 considered a sweet spot of the irix 15? I think the combination of 5.6/1000 (for landscape) seems a little too “speedy” to me for such a lens-camera duo.
f5.6 is the beginning of the sweet spot for the irix 15 based on the reviews I've read. Given that everything was effectively at infinity for this shot, I took the "who cares" approach to choosing my aperture and prioritized maximizing sharpness. If I'm nitpicking, I suppose I should've gone with f11 (top end of the center sharpness sweet spot) since it may have slightly higher edge sharpness. As I've gained more experience with the Irix over the last several months, I find myself now almost exclusively shooting at f8 or f11 with the corresponding hyperfocal distance (very easy thanks to the hyperfocal markings on the lens). Requires some higher ISOs in the early morning or late evening, but nothing that gives me any worries given the K1-ii's capabilities.
10-31-2020, 01:13 AM   #15

Very nice picture, the Iris looks like a very interesting lens as well and I am looking for a wide lens at a lower cost.