Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 04:30 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rocks
Lens: Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: White Rocks Reserve Ipswich QLD ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F10 

i probably should have put this into the Photo Critique forum, 'cos I was interested in comments and reactions, but here I am, so.....

Have not taken too many pics of this type, so curious for reactions - assessment-type reactions, that is. These were not in an easy position to allow me to choose the perfect position to shoot. And I had the 50-300mm PLM on the KP, so stuck with it (but really should have changed to my 100mm Macro 2.8, which I did have with me).

This is a crop of the original, which you can view here.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think you'll get a better reaction and critique in our Photo Critique forum, so I've moved it there.
02-18-2020, 03:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I think you'll get a better reaction and critique in our Photo Critique forum, so I've moved it there.
Thank you, photolady95. Hmmm. 153 views and not a single comment??

Is it just my imagination that there is a picture in there somewhere, however poorly taken?? Is the idea just so totally "Meh!"?

I am curious for reactions or comments - of whatever kind. Totally thick-skinned, not prone to take offence, or be "cut to the bone".

OK - some self-criticism. Should have swapped the 55-300mm LPM lens for my Macro 100mm 2.8, and focused deliberately on the top (ovoid) rock. Perhaps should have dropped the shutter speed, and thus the ISO. Perhaps should have tried to lean over the footbridge railing to get a better angle (at the risk of doing a nose-dive!)?

What did I think I saw in this? The contrast of shapes, colours and textures - the pitted, grey ovoid, the more variageted, chunky rock with its angular surfaces, and the larger, rounder rock - it all just somehow appealed.

Well, perhaps a different crop? Like this?

Name:  PETE4570 B.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  235.5 KB

OK, .......moving on, now.
02-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can move this back to Post Your Photos if you think it will get you some comments, if you want me to do that. Let me know.

02-26-2020, 03:59 AM   #5

I think this image doesn't have a contrast. You should increase it. This is my opinion.
02-26-2020, 04:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by compasiune11 Quote
I think this image doesn't have a contrast. You should increase it. This is my opinion.
Apart from cropping, I have no experience or understanding of using image doctoring features of image software packages. I have experimented a few times (and I mean a few - less than 10 times) with trying to adjust for poor exposure (underexposed and dark photos) in one or two images.

But okay - I played with the contrast setting using Irfanview. Is this the sort of change you had in mind? Overdone? Ineptly done? (As I said, am totally not even a beginner when it comes to image manipulation)

Name:  PETE4570 CD.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  291.6 KB

Any other comments - subject; composition,...anything.
04-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
Forum Member

I like it, but I think it would have more impact if you had been able to remove the green leaf as well as all the dead twigs on the left. Also the rock on the left center is a little bright. Maybe you could tone it down a little in lightroom. I do like the colors, textures, and shapes of the rocks. Of course I was looking at the uncropped version. You did take care of most of that in the cropped version.