Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clone out power lines or leave in?
Lens: Sigma 70-200 Camera: K5IIS Photo Location: Melton 

I hate power lines and as much as anybody in landscape but is it worth the trouble in cloning these out. A couple of wind turbines also in the mix.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #2

My 2 cents worth, from this aging hobbyist, clone it out. BUT if you want to make a statement about man’s affect on the planet, leave it. You have a very nice picture there either way.
02-23-2020, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll go the other way and say "leave them in". This is an honest representation of the scene - power lines, wind turbines and all. Personally, I don't think these things are significant enough to spoil the overall effect

If I may comment further, constructively? On my profiled screen I see a considerable green tint to the yellow areas of the sky (in the top third or half of the image). I don't know if you intended that, but to me it's more off-putting than the power lines. Given the limited palette for the image, a simple reduction of saturation in the green channel (or other method of colour correction) would easily address this, if required.

Lovely photo, by the way. I love both sunsets and silhouettes, so this delivers for me
02-23-2020, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll go the other way and say "leave them in". This is an honest representation of the scene - power lines, wind turbines and all. Personally, I don't think these things are significant enough to spoil the overall effect

If I may comment further, constructively? On my profiled screen I see a considerable green tint to the yellow areas of the sky (in the top third or half of the image). I don't know if you intended that, but to me it's more off-putting than the power lines. Given the limited palette for the image, a simple reduction of saturation in the green channel (or other method of colour correction) would easily address this, if required.

Lovely photo, by the way. I love both sunsets and silhouettes, so this delivers for me
Yes I too see the green tinge, it is there in the RAW image. Adjustment to the green slider in Lightroom HSL made no difference. An adjustment to the camera calibration in Lightroom seems to help a bit.

I trust this is better. Thanks for your suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
My 2 cents worth, from this aging hobbyist, clone it out. BUT if you want to make a statement about man’s affect on the planet, leave it. You have a very nice picture there either way.
Normally I would take them out but The thought of getting rid of the power pole through the tree branches made me think twice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would keep them in. It is an honest representation of the landscape as you found it. Otherwise you would depict a place that doesn't really exist.

I once took a picture of a stormy sky. The weather was closing in fast and there was no time to move around to get a better composition. The image was overpowered by hight voltage power lines. I edited them out. It was a lot of work, and I am still not sure if it was worth the effort.

02-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Yes I too see the green tinge, it is there in the RAW image. Adjustment to the green slider in Lightroom HSL made no difference. An adjustment to the camera calibration in Lightroom seems to help a bit.

I trust this is better. Thanks for your suggestion.
Beautiful!
02-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #7

Yes, can imagine it would be a big task to get rid of the pole, but to me it is also the most off-putting element. If the pole were not behind the tree, yet visible, it would have more appeal. But no matter how you slice it “NiceShot!”

02-24-2020, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've no shame... wires, poles, fences and windmills are all history if this were mine.

02-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another for leaving them in. They aren't prominent in the photo, as you can't see them well enough to worry about them being there. And normally, I don't clone them out. As others have said, they are part of the environment.

Nice photo too! TFS
02-26-2020, 02:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you want to show the place how it is, leave em.
If you want to show us a beautifull photo and you think they ruin it, clone them out.
02-26-2020, 03:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd try to clone them out. Unfortunately, with my cloning skills, it would probably be better to leave them in -- I often find things get dicey around the branches of trees.

Better a beautiful sunset with power lines than a bad clone job without...
02-28-2020, 03:13 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments.

I am still in two minds about cloning the power lines. Here is a version with the power lines taken out using content aware feature in Photoshop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-28-2020, 10:56 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Thanks for all the comments.

I am still in two minds about cloning the power lines. Here is a version with the power lines taken out using content aware feature in Photoshop.
I like this version best.
02-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #14
Unregistered User

The only opinion I have about this thread has to do with the use of the word, "clone", which means to duplicate, not to delete. A more appropriate analogy is represented by the term, "inpainting".
02-29-2020, 05:22 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would leave them in. They are part of the scenery.