Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #1

waterfalls
Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Brevard, NC ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/3s Aperture: F28 

Here are a couple shots from my latest trip to waterfall world of Brevard area in north Carolina.

The 6246 picture the water was running really hard, so it was hard to slow it down.

Let me kow what you think, thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
03-17-2020, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I go to places like this, I always think "This would be a great shot if the MNR would let me in here with my chain saw for a few days". Those images could probably be saturated and contrasted to draw out the texture in the rock. But it could also be a case of needing a lower sun. Sometimes the solution is "come back the next morning"... or evening. I always find with water falls the time of day you're there is the most important factor. And you don't really know when to go before you go once and observe how the light hits the fall.

Anyway, those are the thoughts the images inspire. Hope you find something relevant.

The second image has the most promise if you're looking for one to do further PP on. More waterfall, less distraction.
03-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AS normhead as said, time of day is everything for a water falls , I'll go when overcast with a high cloud ceiling or if happens to be sunny i'll pick a time of day the sun isnt hitting directly , I also use a Polarized filter which will help get your speed down ,and help with any glare , I like number 2 shot as well , i always try and keep the sky out of the shot if i can . Beautiful falls though , I bet they run will after a good rain . Cheers
03-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with previous comments. #2 is certainly the pick of the bunch. The water trails are long enough to provide the sense of flow yet retain some detail.

03-24-2020, 01:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn’t worry too much about the amount of water slow down, the blurred-to-mush, milk-like look is often overrated imo. Pic #2 is the better as already stated, I’d try to go back after some serious rainfall. There’s a fall I found lately which needs the same treatment since it’s just a dribble in bluesky conditions. Pic #4 also shows promise if you can get closer with a wider angle, although it’s probably waders for that!
05-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Might try a polarizing filter if your not already using one? I also agree with an overcast day, that really helps to balance out the lighting and you can get your aperture opened up to reduce the diffraction.
06-02-2020, 05:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What a beautiful waterfall!

Couple of things to add to what the others have said. First of all, watch your levels - a couple of these are noticeably not level.
Personally I find the built in electronic level in the K5 very handy in this respect.
Also be careful with your exposure, it's easy to over expose the water in photos like these - as has happened in the last photo and possibly the second.