Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2020, 05:19 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,101
A Picture Speaks A........
Lens: Canon EF-S 55~250mm STM Lens Camera: Canon EOS 80 D Photo Location: Sherwood Forest ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 

Focal Length 250mm, Manual Exposure Mode, No Fill Flash With Multi-Segment Metering.

Thanks for viewing.

My concern is whether or not I should attempt to remove the flowers to the right of the subject. There are times when distractions, or trying to remove distractions can be a royal pain even with a capable Photo Software Editor. Thanks very much for any helpful hints and suggestions.

Tony

I am not certain that the flowers to the right are a distraction. A professional photographer friend has advised me that: "If it is in the photograph, it belongs in the photograph." Obviously I am at a point of frustration where distractions are concerned.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 80D  Photo 

Last edited by Tonytee; 03-24-2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling Error.
03-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,941
My feeling is the top of the picture could be cropped so it just touches the flower, and leave the right bottom in. I think it is often best to show parts of the subject, suggesting there are many. Besides rationalizing with words, it just looks better with it in IMO. (Very nice picture BTW.)
03-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,561
I have to disagree about cropping the top so it touches the top of the flower. You need head room just like birds and other animals.

As for the flowers to the right, I think they're out of focus enough to be called bokeh!

Beautiful flower Tony, thanks for sharing.
03-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,101
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
My feeling is the top of the picture could be cropped so it just touches the flower, and leave the right bottom in. I think it is often best to show parts of the subject, suggesting there are many. Besides rationalizing with words, it just looks better with it in IMO. (Very nice picture BTW.)

Many thanks for your assistance and comment.

TT

---------- Post added 03-24-20 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have to disagree about cropping the top so it touches the top of the flower. You need head room just like birds and other animals.

As for the flowers to the right, I think they're out of focus enough to be called bokeh!

Beautiful flower Tony, thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated.

tt

03-24-2020, 11:58 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,291
Tony. First of all I think the rendition you posted in "Post you photos" is better than this one. Over all I think that it is a very good shot and the background flowers are not that distracting. If you should do anything, I would prefer toning down the background and making it less sharp. Perhaps this example (I worked with the rendition from "Post your photos").
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 80D  Photo 
03-25-2020, 02:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,101
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Tony. First of all I think the rendition you posted in "Post you photos" is better than this one. Over all I think that it is a very good shot and the background flowers are not that distracting. If you should do anything, I would prefer toning down the background and making it less sharp. Perhaps this example (I worked with the rendition from "Post your photos").

I see what you are saying. Many thanks.

TT
05-20-2020, 02:19 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: KwaZulu Natal
Photos: Albums
Posts: 130
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Focal Length 250mm, Manual Exposure Mode, No Fill Flash With Multi-Segment Metering.

Thanks for viewing.

My concern is whether or not I should attempt to remove the flowers to the right of the subject. There are times when distractions, or trying to remove distractions can be a royal pain even with a capable Photo Software Editor. Thanks very much for any helpful hints and suggestions.

Tony

I am not certain that the flowers to the right are a distraction. A professional photographer friend has advised me that: "If it is in the photograph, it belongs in the photograph." Obviously I am at a point of frustration where distractions are concerned.
It's a beautiful flower and photo. If you crop the flowers to the right the flower will be too much in the middle and wont look as good as it does now. I like that you can see other flowers in the picture, tells a story...
6 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,101
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
It's a beautiful flower and photo. If you crop the flowers to the right the flower will be too much in the middle and wont look as good as it does now. I like that you can see other flowers in the picture, tells a story...

Many thanks Shelly. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. )

TT

4 Days Ago   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Bruce Clark's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brookfield, Victoria
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,261
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Tony. First of all I think the rendition you posted in "Post you photos" is better than this one. Over all I think that it is a very good shot and the background flowers are not that distracting. If you should do anything, I would prefer toning down the background and making it less sharp. Perhaps this example (I worked with the rendition from "Post your photos").
Definitely the way to g n my opinion.

Nice shot Tony
4 Days Ago   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,101
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Definitely the way to g n my opinion.

Nice shot Tony

Hello Mr. Bruce Clark and many thanks for your comment.

TT
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
critique, distractions, flower, photography, picture, speaks, thanks, touches, tt
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature A Picture Speaks A........ Tonytee Post Your Photos! 7 10-31-2019 01:28 PM
Nature A Picture Speaks A........ Tonytee Post Your Photos! 2 09-15-2019 05:12 PM
Nature A Picture Speaks A........ Tonytee Post Your Photos! 2 09-13-2019 09:33 PM
Nature A Picture Speaks A........ Tonytee Post Your Photos! 4 03-29-2019 11:30 PM
Nature A Picture Speaks A........ Tonytee Post Your Photos! 4 12-21-2018 10:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top