Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Testing Performance of a Recently Acquired Third Party Lens.
Lens: Sears 135mm 2.8 Macro Camera: Pentax k-7 Photo Location: My Shop. ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 

Focal Length 135mm, Manual Exposure Mode, Used Built-In Flash, 5EV With Multi-Segment Metering.

I thought I would experiment with this Sears lens as I have heard and read many excellent reviews on its performance and reliability. I do not know who the actual manufacturer is, so anyone happens to be on top of it, I would appreciate sharing. Other than resizing, the image is straight out of camera.

The subject is a Sensor Cleaning Kit I purchased from Amazon.

Thanks very much for viewing.

TT

03-31-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tony

The image seems perfectly sharp in the centre but falls off towards the sides. I would check that the subject is perfectly flat and parallel to the camera sensor before I made a firm conclusion.

Cheers
03-31-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Hi Tony

The image seems perfectly sharp in the centre but falls off towards the sides. I would check that the subject is perfectly flat and parallel to the camera sensor before I made a firm conclusion.

Cheers

Ahh! I see what you are saying. Great advice and thank you very much. Seems like a pretty decent lens. Haven't taken any floral images with it yet, and won't be able to

until this worldwide chaos passes. Stay safe, stay well.

TT
03-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is this the lens that has three macro settings that you choose by turning the top of the barrel? If so, I also have this lens. Unfortunately, mine has fungus.

04-01-2020, 12:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Is this the lens that has three macro settings that you choose by turning the top of the barrel? If so, I also have this lens. Unfortunately, mine has fungus.

No, fortunately this one is not a Macro lens. I do have the Pentax-M 40~80mm with the Macro settings you mentioned. Yes, mine also has a smear and some fungus, however it is a very sharp lens and takes wonderful images for a vintage lens.

Thanks very much for your comment.

TT
04-01-2020, 01:30 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is what I was talking about when I asked that question, Tony.

Sears 135mm 2.8 Macro, it's in your information you input above.
04-01-2020, 03:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is what I was talking about when I asked that question, Tony.

Sears 135mm 2.8 Macro, it's in your information you input above.

Yes, you are correct. I have so many lenses now, some Macro and some not Macro. This Sears does have the settings you asked about and are: 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 in what is called "The Macro Zone."

Thanks again.

TT

04-01-2020, 04:11 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I could never get a true macro shot using that lens and had planned on selling it, when I learned it wasn't worth the trouble to list it.

You seem to have gotten a good macro shot with yours though.

I bought mine back in 1998 when I was still in college and my photography professor said it was a good portrait lens.
04-01-2020, 04:53 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I could never get a true macro shot using that lens and had planned on selling it, when I learned it wasn't worth the trouble to list it.

You seem to have gotten a good macro shot with yours though.

I bought mine back in 1998 when I was still in college and my photography professor said it was a good portrait lens.

Thank you very much. It was hand held, so to some degree it is somewhat impressive. I just need to keep in mind to use the sensor flat toward the subject. The other lens

that I mentioned, I do have another copy that is haze and fungus free and truthfully for a vintage lens, it is very sharp, bright and colorful. It is totally Manual through and through.

The SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8~4 40~80mm Macro does provide some wonderful Macro and close-up images. This is the one where you have to snap it into Macro Mode and at

that point, the focus ring becomes a slide focus. Works quite well.

TT