Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2020, 06:54 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Hi guys here a portrait I did, looking for critique
Lens: 55mm Camera: 645z ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5 

Hi everyone, what do you think of this portrait, hope to get some cc. Thank you!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
04-02-2020, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
The framing, the models pose and the way the light is falling on her are very good IMO.
But for me, the image is overly dark, and the model doesn't " pop " out of the photo.
Having the black dress on a black haired model in front of a very dark grey ( gray ) backdrop has little contrast for me.

EDIT - Just my $0.02. I am certainly not a professional photographer, so this is just an amateur's opinion.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 04-02-2020 at 08:26 PM.
04-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #3

Hi cwolfphoto. Very good! I love the model's skin tone and her confident pose, and the dark on dark palette works well. Maybe if you have a shot of her in a similar pose but with her eyes open and looking at the camera, the whole portrait might pop more. I know though, there's a nice mood with her eyes closed also. I am not a pro portrait photographer, so I can't claim to be giving you the best advice or critique.
04-02-2020, 11:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great portrait. I think the light is excellent. I really like like dark approach. The thing I would suggest is cropping off a bit from the right side to make it a little less symmetric.

04-02-2020, 11:56 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

The lower portion is a bit too much of nothing, so I would lose it. Something like this:

04-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I get a vibe of fashion photography more than a portraiture of a person who either has an affinity for or works with apples especially since we don't see her eyes.
04-03-2020, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

It is a nice shot. The focus and light seem to distinguish the subject in different areas, and if that is what you and the subject were looking for, then you have achieved it. If you had wanted to fill the lower part of the subject with more light, you could have, and if you wanted to have the subject open her eyes more and make sure you filled that with light, you could have done that. As I said, if the look that you and your subject were looking for in the shot is what your final product is revealing, then you have achieved it. Of course you could plan on a different type of pose and lighting, but that is completely dependent on what you and the subject want to approach.

04-03-2020, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #8

Total amateur here with another 2 cents - I agree to some extent with the “pop” and “crop” comments. The pop is in the lighting of the beautiful skin tone. I would experiment with some bottom crop along with the suggest right side crop. With less black I think it would “pop” more. If not drop the crop. Still a very nice pic.
04-04-2020, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First off, really nice photo, no matter what genre it falls in. I could only hope to do as well.

The lighting gets intricate details out of the dark fabric, maybe a reflector under the cups to bring out those details? The hair is great as is
really good tones on the skin, and the red apple is vivid. Really good focus and DOF.

I agree with the background color comment, A darkened background, maybe some backlighting on the skirt to make it stand out from the background?

Regarding the crop, I think that is what changes this image from portrait to fashion.

Now that I think about it, this photo makes the apple the, which is fine, you could title it "A tempting bite" or something as a metaphoric image, and it would work. As it is, a bright red apple is going to pull the eye away from the model, which makes it less of a portrait.

In any case, I really like this image.
04-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I like this photograph. Well done...both in planning, set up and final composition. Excellent in my view.
04-04-2020, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
The framing, the models pose and the way the light is falling on her are very good IMO.
But for me, the image is overly dark, and the model doesn't " pop " out of the photo.
Having the black dress on a black haired model in front of a very dark grey ( gray ) backdrop has little contrast for me.

EDIT - Just my $0.02. I am certainly not a professional photographer, so this is just an amateur's opinion.
Hi cwolfphoto, please ask the MODERATORS to delete this post if you find it inappropriate. Your image has been deleted from my computer.

The only changes I have made to your very good image is an increase in exposure, the shadows, and made it a little brighter to lighten the background.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
04-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's me in the grocery store choosing an apple by smell . Very nice.
04-04-2020, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
The only changes I have made to your very good image is an increase in exposure, the shadows, and made it a little brighter to lighten the background.
Increase the exposure does help the model pop another way is to use 2 accent lights (or reflectors) to add some light to the edge of her dress to separate it from the dark background.
The model, the pose and the overall image quality is already very good though
04-05-2020, 03:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cwolfphoto Quote
Hi everyone, what do you think of this portrait, hope to get some cc. Thank you!
Very nice job! I would disregard all comments suggesting upping the exposure or cropping.
04-05-2020, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really like it, Cwolfphoto, would have liked it even more if the lips had less shadow on them ... it's their red and that of the apple that are the unifying graphical element!