Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2020, 01:52 PM - 17 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful eyes despite the virus
Lens: Tamron SP AF 90 f2.5 Macro Camera: Pentax K-5II Photo Location: Sant Llorenç Savall ISO: 125 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F3.5 

Encouragement for all!

BR!

04-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Stay safe!
04-29-2020, 01:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Stay safe!
Take care!
05-05-2020, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always thought it was a no-no to cut off the top of people's heads. However, I have been reading Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Composition', and he actually advises it. In a shot like this one, moving in close makes the portrait more intimate. The image wouldn't have as much impact if you had backed off to include her whole head. Those eyes are the main draw. Well done.

05-06-2020, 05:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I've always thought it was a no-no to cut off the top of people's heads. However, I have been reading Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Composition', and he actually advises it. In a shot like this one, moving in close makes the portrait more intimate. The image wouldn't have as much impact if you had backed off to include her whole head. Those eyes are the main draw. Well done.
I'm glad you like it.

Thanks Apet-Sure!
06-02-2020, 05:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lovely!

In terms of constructive criticism, I feel that the space to the right of the face is a bit awkward - possibly because the edge of the frame is so close on the left hand side of the face but then there's a gap on the right.
Perhaps it would be better composed with the face and eyes centered in the frame.
Also could benefit from slightly greater depth of field to bring the left eye into greater focus and possibly the mask too.
07-28-2020, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
lovely!

In terms of constructive criticism, I feel that the space to the right of the face is a bit awkward - possibly because the edge of the frame is so close on the left hand side of the face but then there's a gap on the right.
Perhaps it would be better composed with the face and eyes centered in the frame.
Also could benefit from slightly greater depth of field to bring the left eye into greater focus and possibly the mask too.
Thank you very much for your constructive criticism, it helps me to improve

08-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pic, looks like there might be a great smile behind the mask
08-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Close crops are very personal and intense. Great composition. The lighting is a bit flat and does not compliment the models features. You can try with light dodge and burn to adjust the lighting which will add to intensity and interest. The main feature here is the model's eyes so pay attention to eye reflections and eye lashes framing the eyes. The mask sets the scene and gives it relevance, although not a main feature, I would tone it down. If you can re-do the shot, then try with a overhead-side light, a good lighting strategy that always works is a Rembrandt lighting, which is not complicated and can be done with a window and maybe add a reflector (can be a sheet of white paper). Hope this gives you some ideas.
08-31-2020, 12:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Nice pic, looks like there might be a great smile behind the mask
This was the idea. Thanks!

---------- Post added 08-31-20 at 12:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Close crops are very personal and intense. Great composition. The lighting is a bit flat and does not compliment the models features. You can try with light dodge and burn to adjust the lighting which will add to intensity and interest. The main feature here is the model's eyes so pay attention to eye reflections and eye lashes framing the eyes. The mask sets the scene and gives it relevance, although not a main feature, I would tone it down. If you can re-do the shot, then try with a overhead-side light, a good lighting strategy that always works is a Rembrandt lighting, which is not complicated and can be done with a window and maybe add a reflector (can be a sheet of white paper). Hope this gives you some ideas.
A critique and some very welcome ideas Thank you very much!
11-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ginos Quote

Encouragement for all!

BR!
This mask thing is creepy. Erasing the natural beauty of the world. Redo without the muzzle.
11-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #12

Eyes can speak. A very nice picture! Makes me smile.
11-22-2020, 12:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Some nice critique, I certainly learn by reading these comments.
11-22-2020, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
This mask thing is creepy. Erasing the natural beauty of the world. Redo without the muzzle.
Without the mask it would be a very nice portrait but with it, it tells a story as well as being a nice portrait.
11-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your words and critique!