Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-18-2020, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Kinda fashion portrait photo
Camera: 645z 

Hi guys, what do you think? CC and critics are most welcome.

Thank you!

Attached Images

06-19-2020, 04:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
His feet are cut-off, the instruments on the wall in the back are very distracting. Is this an environmental portrait ? if so, the subjects outfit does not fit the environment. Are you taking a picture of his neck for some reason ?
06-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I am not a portrait shooter, but it feels unbalanced with the meters to his right. And his neck is extremely prominent with his head turned so far to his right.
06-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed on the meters. If you brought his left shoulder around more, it would de-accentuate the neck and his jaw. We've lost his hands too. So, simply having the model turn his boy part of the way to where is head is looking might help. And maybe getting his eyes looking up, a bit of catchlight maybe.

06-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #5

Striking picture, I really like it. I think the careful lighting, pose, and background make this feel like an advertisement image more than a portrait.
06-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cwolfphoto Quote
Kinda fashion portrait photo
I guess it depends on what the fashion item is that you are trying to feature. There are some parts of this photo I find very appealing; if you want to capture the look of a baseball pitcher looking at a batter or his catcher, you nailed it. On the other hand, if you want to showcase his pants, there are some problems. The gauges on the wall and the wall itself are a good way to give the photo an underground, gritty look, but the dapper melton jacket doesn't work that well in such an enviroment. Like I said, there are some very good aspects, but depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you might want to move the lighting around a bit, crop off the bottom to get a landscape orientation or have your model stand up (I don't think having him sitting , especially with his hands in the pockets of the jacket is a good pose, but I don't know what you are trying to capture, so I could be wrong).
06-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a great shot and I wouldn't change anything. He's manspreading aggressively, but at the same time his hands are hidden and in a very defensive position while he looks out of the frame as if he wants to escape. So there's a real sense of tension, and the hard set jaw and the meters on the wall just add to that feeling that the guy's about to lose it and stomp out of the shot. Excellent stuff.

06-22-2020, 06:47 AM   #8

I was going to comment on the meters, but thought it might be nitpicky. Perhaps, instead of removing them, some colour-shifting to reduce saturation of the orange tones and bring them down to the same more neutral colour-palette as the rest of the image would limit them as a distraction?
07-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Forum Member

Hi,

Before making any constructive criticism, I'd like to as a few questions..
Firstly, why would you label this photo kinda fashion? What makes it fashion?
Secondly, I'd ask what is the narrative around this image; is it part of a series, or is it a stand-alone?
And then, from this picture, what do you want to learn?

Cheers,
J.