Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chasing Light
Lens: DA 35 2.8 Limited Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Gibbs Gardens, Georgia 

One of my greatest influences has always been the romantic period - both in terms of music and arts. There were the European romantic artists that I've known for years, and now I've been getting into the Hudson River School painters. I knew Thomas Cole but there's others that had great works... from my modest hometown in Brazil there was Juarez Machado - he is from a totally different school of painting but early on he had a showing of landscape paintings that I saw as a teen and I was really impressed by how he could portray light... it stayed with me.

So I don't know if these look kitsch or cliché to some, but I'm chasing a bit of that look via my post processing... and they end up looking a bit like paintings - and I wasn't particularly looking for that, but that is what they are starting to look like... what do you think?

06-23-2020, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pic #1, it looks like the highlights are clipped. I've shot in similar lighting and it is hard not to run into that problem.

Pic #2, I'm really digging the composition, and the mid-afternoon sun is providing really nice dappling beneath the canopy. The stray leaf in the upper-right corner is mildly annoying.

Pic #3, The composition feels forced, like you were determined to fit the gazebo in the frame.
06-24-2020, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 2 bob's worth. Lighting colouring on all are excellent some compositional improvements could work wonders

#1 Could use serious crop on left and right sides. Too much uninteresting foliage.
#2 Spot on
#3 Agree with previous comment. Needs space on the right..
06-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pic #1, it looks like the highlights are clipped. I've shot in similar lighting and it is hard not to run into that problem.

Pic #2, I'm really digging the composition, and the mid-afternoon sun is providing really nice dappling beneath the canopy. The stray leaf in the upper-right corner is mildly annoying.

Pic #3, The composition feels forced, like you were determined to fit the gazebo in the frame.
Thank you for the comments, that is the kind of feedback I was looking for

On 1, I feel the clipped highlights actually bring a bit of a feeling of "the light is so bright you can't really see what's there" - and I tried to keep it as a minimal just for that effect. I could probably have recovered a little more - it's amazing what that K-50 sensor has in reserve... I tend to look at the image as a whole and that seemed to work best for me, for that effect... but maybe I could try something different. It's only like 0.01% of the image....
On 2 - thanks.
On 3 - I have a "compositionally correct" version of this image, which you can see here below. The problem is... I don't connect with it. I connect with this other one more. I guess I should just get to the conclusion that neither one really works, and that I should chalk this one up as a "learning experience".

06-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
My 2 bob's worth. Lighting colouring on all are excellent some compositional improvements could work wonders

#1 Could use serious crop on left and right sides. Too much uninteresting foliage.
#2 Spot on
#3 Agree with previous comment. Needs space on the right..
Thank you for your comments...
On 1 - I can try that... but I kind of think this works for me, at least I seem to connect to the picture... I don't know, I am surprised that it came out the way it did because being there, it wasn't really anything very interesting.
On 2 - thank you!
On 3 - see comment above... probably just a learning experience. I should try to be more methodical - but when you are out with the wife and the kids sometimes you only have a split second or two to take a picture.

Let's just say I'm happier with what I've been learning than with the pictures themselves, as at least I can see where improvements are needed and that there's no substitute for slowing down and planning an image.
09-19-2020, 04:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Severe crop of top and bottom, and some of the left of the pic. Does not look so good performed on the jpeg posted, as it increases the magnification to 187%, and loses a lot of sharpness.

But try it on your original raw image and tell me what you think. (If you think "what a crappy idea", fine - this is all a very subjective thing, and no offence taken!)

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  431.2 KB