Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2020, 09:35 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
portrait
Lens: Samyang Camera: K1 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F1.4 

Hope everyone is doing well haven't posted in a while ,I'm more of a Landscaper , had a friend ask if i would shoot her daughters Graduation Photo's , Like to get some feed back on this Portrait, if you would be so kind to critique this shot .
K1 Samyang 85mm 1.4

many thanks

Alan

Attached Images

07-11-2020, 09:50 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
Like to get some feed back on this Portrait, if you would be so kind to critique this shot .
I like it blurry or out of focus and Samyang surrender, maybe you should treat your face, it looks a bit soft, the way I see it.
Keep it that way, the approach is very good.

Bye, M.A.W.
07-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thank you for critique maw greatly appreciated
07-14-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
maw
Pentaxian

thank you for critique maw greatly appreciated
Hi Outlander,

It doesn't want to be a negative criticism, the girl is beautiful, the face is very soft, in my opinion only the eyes are not very sharp,
this may depend on the chosen point of focus or the Samyang.
I've read many different opinions, those who say that f/1.4 is not a razor and those who assert the contrary, also there are different versions for Pentax I think they are two models.
The strange thing is that I also thought of the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical or the Samyang 85mm f1.4 AS IF UMC, which model do you have?
I repeat the image is ethereal and since the girl is blonde and light-skinned, I would have liked a slightly darker background, to better balance.
But it's my opinion, that doesn't take anything away from what I said above.

Ciao Mario

07-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot, the eyes are sharp enough and the lips really stand out. It might and I say "might" have been better if the subject was not so centered but landed on the rule of thirds.
07-14-2020, 11:04 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi Outlander,

It doesn't want to be a negative criticism, the girl is beautiful, the face is very soft, in my opinion only the eyes are not very sharp,
this may depend on the chosen point of focus or the Samyang.
I've read many different opinions, those who say that f/1.4 is not a razor and those who assert the contrary, also there are different versions for Pentax I think they are two models.
The strange thing is that I also thought of the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical or the Samyang 85mm f1.4 AS IF UMC, which model do you have?
I repeat the image is ethereal and since the girl is blonde and light-skinned, I would have liked a slightly darker background, to better balance.
But it's my opinion, that doesn't take anything away from what I said above.

Ciao Mario
hey Ciao , many thanks again for the comments the Samyang i purchased is the AS IF UMC its probably the 4 time ive used this lens , i did purchase it for portraits for it met my budget at the time , i do agree the image is soft ,and yes the eyes are not as sharp as could be , i think what caught my eye on this image is the long strand of hair blowing in the wind .. im attaching another image taken at the same time with same lens , this was next one below was taken with bare flash HHS AF540FGZ , id appreciate if you give me your thoughts on this one as well .

cheers Alan

---------- Post added 07-15-20 at 03:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Great shot, the eyes are sharp enough and the lips really stand out. It might and I say "might" have been better if the subject was not so centered but landed on the rule of thirds.
thank you hjoseph7 for your comments greatly appreciate any thoughts , can you have a look a the second image ive posted within this thread , is this image too sharp for a portrait ?
Attached Images

07-15-2020, 03:07 AM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

hey Ciao , many thanks again for the comments the Samyang i purchased is the AS IF UMC its probably the 4 time ive used this lens , i did purchase it for portraits for it met my budget at the time , i do agree the image is soft ,and yes the eyes are not as sharp as could be , i think what caught my eye on this image is the long strand of hair blowing in the wind .. im attaching another image taken at the same time with same lens , this was next one below was taken with bare flash HHS AF540FGZ , id appreciate if you give me your thoughts on this one as well .

cheers Alan

Hi, Alan,

Sorry, I didn't know your name, if you'll excuse me.

Portraiture is one of the most difficult photographic genres to interpret and requires a lot of training, as in other disciplines.

1. The portrait (II) compared to the previous one is more in focus and more plastic (thanks to the flash that filled some areas).
However, looking at the first photo, it would have been enough a little more accuracy "at f/1.4 you can't afford many distractions"
and the photo would have been more accurate, the fluidity the hair and the very pasty lights reminded me vaguely 'La primavera del Botticelli'.

2. The second picture is undoubtedly more in focus and therefore those who will observe it will notice a greater liveliness due to the eyes which are almost certainly the first element of the observer, except for rare intentional cases. Moreover, it denotes more plasticity making the whole more lively and attractive.

There are also other considerations, such as the pose, position and angle of the face (or camera).....

I'll put you a link if you want to have fun browsing through hundreds of portraits made by photographers pro and not, also this is a useful exercise that refines the interpretative ability in the study of photography, which is far from being a simple art. I think you'll agree.

I'm always happy to discuss with people who love photography and not the verbal brawl.

Ciao Mario

I hope there is a good feeling for what I have expressed to you, I think it is much better to discuss.

Link: Ritratti

Last edited by maw; 07-15-2020 at 03:09 AM. Reason: small correction
07-18-2020, 08:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

cheers Alan

---------- Post added 07-15-20 at 03:10 AM ----------

thank you hjoseph7 for your comments greatly appreciate any thoughts , can you have a look a the second image ive posted within this thread , is this image too sharp for a portrait ?
I prefer this photo. Appears sharper...eyes are very clear, very good pose. I always focus on the eyes in a portrait and if the eyes are sharp, then the rest of the photo usually turns out well, in my experience. Looks like you did the same thing here. Nicely done.
07-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing! I'm new to this forum.
When it come to look at images and give an opinion or criticism, I want to make sure that it is always constructive.

Portraiture isn't easy when you come from landscape. Interacting with someone vs waiting patiently for the right light to show up.. Trying to control, direct or give direction vs witness life unfold.
I will not discuss the technique when it comes to images, rather the way I feel about them.

I think in this particular case, you mentioned there were Grad. portraits, and I have the feeling that the way you captured these images aren't actually enable the reader to make the connection with the event.
These 2 images are in a situation of disconnect from the original frame and without your explanation, they feel quite plasticky to me, and quite empty of emotion.
I'd imagine a situation where you'd be able to capture your friend's daughters surrounded with friends, family, or anything that could bring a dynamic and bind these images to the event.
The way you cropped doesn't help either because it puts an emphasis on this feeling of isolation. Without your explanation, these images could be anything, or be attached to any random event.

Anyway, regardless of my comment, it's always great to have close friends freezing moments and snippets of time, creating memories.

Cheers,

J.
07-28-2020, 10:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi, Alan,

Sorry, I didn't know your name, if you'll excuse me.

Portraiture is one of the most difficult photographic genres to interpret and requires a lot of training, as in other disciplines.

1. The portrait (II) compared to the previous one is more in focus and more plastic (thanks to the flash that filled some areas).
However, looking at the first photo, it would have been enough a little more accuracy "at f/1.4 you can't afford many distractions"
and the photo would have been more accurate, the fluidity the hair and the very pasty lights reminded me vaguely 'La primavera del Botticelli'.

2. The second picture is undoubtedly more in focus and therefore those who will observe it will notice a greater liveliness due to the eyes which are almost certainly the first element of the observer, except for rare intentional cases. Moreover, it denotes more plasticity making the whole more lively and attractive.

There are also other considerations, such as the pose, position and angle of the face (or camera).....

I'll put you a link if you want to have fun browsing through hundreds of portraits made by photographers pro and not, also this is a useful exercise that refines the interpretative ability in the study of photography, which is far from being a simple art. I think you'll agree.

I'm always happy to discuss with people who love photography and not the verbal brawl.

Ciao Mario

I hope there is a good feeling for what I have expressed to you, I think it is much better to discuss.

Link: Ritratti
hey Ciao lol on the verbal brawl, ive seen many get offended on here,I always take things in stride when it comes to photography ,so much to learn , and trying to get the job done with the equipment one has , being portraits , wildlife , landscapes , not to mention night photography which is another game in its self , im always open to constructive criticism , learned that in the Military , I appreciate the thoughts on my images , I will definitely check out the link you provided , thanks again

cheers

Alan

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 02:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I prefer this photo. Appears sharper...eyes are very clear, very good pose. I always focus on the eyes in a portrait and if the eyes are sharp, then the rest of the photo usually turns out well, in my experience. Looks like you did the same thing here. Nicely done.
thank you Lesmore49 greatly appreciate the comments

Alan

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 03:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by _the_bside_ Quote
Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing! I'm new to this forum.
When it come to look at images and give an opinion or criticism, I want to make sure that it is always constructive.

Portraiture isn't easy when you come from landscape. Interacting with someone vs waiting patiently for the right light to show up.. Trying to control, direct or give direction vs witness life unfold.
I will not discuss the technique when it comes to images, rather the way I feel about them.

I think in this particular case, you mentioned there were Grad. portraits, and I have the feeling that the way you captured these images aren't actually enable the reader to make the connection with the event.
These 2 images are in a situation of disconnect from the original frame and without your explanation, they feel quite plasticky to me, and quite empty of emotion.
I'd imagine a situation where you'd be able to capture your friend's daughters surrounded with friends, family, or anything that could bring a dynamic and bind these images to the event.
The way you cropped doesn't help either because it puts an emphasis on this feeling of isolation. Without your explanation, these images could be anything, or be attached to any random event.

Anyway, regardless of my comment, it's always great to have close friends freezing moments and snippets of time, creating memories.

Cheers,

J.
Hi J thanks for commenting , my first time doing Graduation photos this year , took on three clients , they seemed to be happy with the end results , I agree with a lot you have said , its just not pick up a camera and start shooting , some thought has to be put into the entire production , ive learned not to do things on my own , I always take my wife with me as another set of eyes looking at the scene correcting poses , hair out of placement , especially when shooting outdoors , the wind can work against you as well as i have learned , and not noticing this until uploading the images , i don't think i would every photograph a wedding , too much pressure for me , i enjoy photography as my outlet to relax , its more of a business Hobby for me , since investing in some new equipment these past 4 yrs ive learned Landscape is a tough business , so many in my area doing it , hence testing the waters on portraits .

thanks again

alan
08-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

I like the shallow depth of field, but I feel it too shallow. I think the hair should be sharper with just the background out of focus, but that is just me. The pose, exposure and lighting look great. Overall it is a very pleasing shot.
08-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful girl beautiful blue eyes, I like both pics. I have no technical comments, too much of a rookie. Far as I'm concerned keep up the great work. Bet your friend likes the pics.
08-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
I like the shallow depth of field, but I feel it too shallow. I think the hair should be sharper with just the background out of focus, but that is just me. The pose, exposure and lighting look great. Overall it is a very pleasing shot.
thank you for commenting mhrish will keep the Dof in mind

---------- Post added 08-27-20 at 01:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Beautiful girl beautiful blue eyes, I like both pics. I have no technical comments, too much of a rookie. Far as I'm concerned keep up the great work. Bet your friend likes the pics.
thank you dipo , and yes they where pleased with the others i had taken .