F6.7
Shutter 1/180
ISO 800

Attached Images

11-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Critique is just one person's opinion and each person will see different things in a shot. So take this with a grain of salt.

I suppose in a technical sense the shot is fine, Good exposure, colours and sharp. The main elements of the shot are not in the center of the frame (tulips and people) which is good. The tulips on one side and trees on the other frame the shot well.

For interest I would suggest you could have looked for something a little different if it was possible. I like the light, the stone wall and foggy/wet trees in the upper right juxtaposed against the colours of the green and flowers. It would have been more interesting if there was just one person further away from you walking away from you dressed in black with an umbrella. The crowd of people sort of "clutter" the image and the one closest to the camera is quite distracting and blurry.

I don't know how busy this spot is and maybe if you had waited for the right moment with only one person on the path it could have been moodier looking.
11-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope my comments didn't kill your enthusiam for the shot. I offered the thoughts only as a constructive suggestion and hope they were taken that way. On further reflection, I'd like to see this as a B&W. it might have a totally different look and appeal.
11-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Peter,
Thanks for taking the time to CC, it is much appreciated. I find it interesting to hear what others get (or don't get ) from a particular photo and you have given me another perspective and I appreciate it.

I was also on the same wavelength as you re just one person on the path and did manage it (only because the weather kept everyone under shelter).
So here is a mono version of the original one and a mono shot of what you were referring to re single person on path.

As I usually have two very young & boisterous boys in tow I generally rely on luck as I don't have the time to set up the perfect composition.

Once again thanks for the CC.

Attached Images

11-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
Damn Brit

That last one makes so much difference. I hadn't posted because Peter had pretty much covered everything I would have done.
Changing position has also made a big difference, now there are nice lines in the picture that you can follow and be drawn in by. It also creates much more of a feeling of space.
Your first shot was very claustrophobic. Having more sky in the shot has brought much more light into the shot as well which in turn adds contrast.
11-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Gary.