Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kids portrait, head swapping
Lens: DA 18-135mm Camera: K3 II Photo Location: Wisconsin ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F5 

This was my first time doing a head swap and finding tutorials for it in GIMP proved impossible. I figured it out, so now I'm curious how it turned out for those with a better trained eye. The first image is my final edit after the swap. The second image is the base photo. The third image is the one I pulled the swap from (the boy on the far right on his sister's lap).

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156882013@N02/877qk5

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156882013@N02/1LY178

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156882013@N02/50N7My

Looking at the final image on its own, he looks like his head was resized larger, but it isn't. It's just how it came out with his big head. Both original photos were shot on the same settings and handheld, so I had to adjust the alignment a bit.

I'm also curious how the white balance/color temp looks for others. My laptop monitor is bad for color accuracy, so I made the final color decisions based on how it looks on my LG V60 phone. I'd also like to know how even the color is top to bottom. On my laptop screen, I thought I saw a blueish color cast on the bottom half, due to a 4 stop ND filter I was trying out for the first time. I didn't see it on my phone, so now I'm not sure if it's the photo, the laptop, or just tired eyes.

09-24-2020, 01:47 AM   #2

Based on the images you already got it is easier to replace both the girl and the boy (mask out later the face of girl) plus the shadows on the face of the boy will be more natural.
The whole process wont take you more than 5 minutes with the current photos you got available.
If you want me to explain you something more feel free to ask here or pm me.
09-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Once I figured it out, the process was quick, but I'm having trouble imagining what you mean about replacing both heads and masking out the girl's (about half her head was in the crop and then masked out already), and the shadows being more natural.
09-25-2020, 01:21 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Once I figured it out, the process was quick, but I'm having trouble imagining what you mean about replacing both heads and masking out the girl's (about half her head was in the crop and then masked out already), and the shadows being more natural.
Take all this area (marked with red) from the picture where the little boy is looking straight onto the camera.
Mask out some they grey part . You might also have to skew a little the girls legs to match on the original image.
On the final image you will see some difference under the neck. The neck on the sides will be more visible plus the soft shadow underneath his chin.
Hope i helped.

Attached Images

09-25-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GQPhdFBI Quote
Hope i helped.
You did, thanks. I'll see what I can come up with later when not at work.
09-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GQPhdFBI Quote
Take all this area (marked with red) from the picture where the little boy is looking straight onto the camera.
Mask out some they grey part . You might also have to skew a little the girls legs to match on the original image.
On the final image you will see some difference under the neck. The neck on the sides will be more visible plus the soft shadow underneath his chin.
Hope i helped.
I reworked the photo with your advice and it came out much better. I ended up swapping the entire girl along with the boy, both due to alignment troubles and because I think her smile was better in that photo as well. Now I see what you meant by the natural shadow comment. It was such a subtle change technically, but made a noticeable impact overall.
09-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I reworked the photo with your advice and it came out much better. I ended up swapping the entire girl along with the boy, both due to alignment troubles and because I think her smile was better in that photo as well. Now I see what you meant by the natural shadow comment. It was such a subtle change technically, but made a noticeable impact overall.
Glad i helped.