Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2020, 05:40 AM   #1

Newbie trying to complete senior pictures
Lens: Sigma DG Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: Maine ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F22 

Hello all,

I am new to posting here and very inexperienced with portraits. I wasted a whole day of shots because I did not realize my camera was set to a high ISO and ruined everything. This shot is from day 2 and it feels grey. I had a cloudier day which I thought would work well.

Any thoughts on ways to edit or different ideas on a new picture would be great. This is my daughter's senior picture so I want it to be great.

Thank you,

Ken

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might play with the white balance in post to see what you can do - did you shoot raw or just JPG?
Careful use of a polarizer might help.
Less depth of field to blur th background and bring attention to your subject might help.
09-24-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might read a couple of the articles available at the forums, here are some quick suggestions:

QuoteQuote:
Image Composition Guide: Subject Isolation
Using Selective Focus to Define Subjects
By K David in Articles and Tips on May 5, 2017
In our ongoing series providing tutorials on photographic techniques, this article examines how to use your gear to achieve subject isolation. This article defines what it is, examines why it occurs, and presents creative examples that exhibit subject isolation in use.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/image-composition-subje...#ixzz6Yxo3z87w

QuoteQuote:
Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners
A detailed look at the fundamentals of exposure, shutter speed, and aperture
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on May 25, 2015

Read more at: Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
QuoteQuote:
Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet
Capturing portraits of family and friends is fun but challenging.
By Inexorable in Articles and Tips on Jun 25, 2014

Read more at: Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Snap Tutorial - 'Rule of Thirds'
A Pentax Forums quick look at a photographic topic
By Heie in Articles and Tips on Dec 21, 2013
Read more at: Snap Tutorial - 'Rule of Thirds' - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Beginner Portrait Lens Guide
What lenses to choose, and why- with a video demo!
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jun 11, 2013

Read more at: Beginner Portrait Lens Guide - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-24-2020 at 05:59 AM.
09-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
You might play with the white balance in post to see what you can do - did you shoot raw or just JPG?
Careful use of a polarizer might help.
Less depth of field to blur th background and bring attention to your subject might help.
Thank you for the ideas. I did shoot in DNG but it was not an upload option. I believe f22 is my max option for depth of field in this camera. I just noticed my smaller lens does have a polarizing lens so should have tried that too.

---------- Post added 09-24-20 at 05:59 AM ----------

Thank you for the links, I will certainly read them

09-24-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Crop out the land, warm the color temp a little, see how a 5:4 aspect ratio looks and maybe add a little vignetting. Otherwise, I think it looks fine. Don't over think it. In general, people tend to post process too much, IMHO. Post processing is like special effects in a movie. If you can notice it, epic fail.

Last edited by tuco; 09-24-2020 at 08:38 AM.
09-24-2020, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shapinggrain Quote
Thank you for the links, I will certainly read them
It's definitely worth reading those articles as well as others online that focus on basic portrait photography with natural lighting... it's the lighting here that's the main issue, since the subject isn't suitably lit.

However, you can do a great deal in post-processing to rescue the shot. Adjusting white balance to a warmer tone, increasing contrast and saturation just a little, bringing the shadows up and the highlights down, fine-tuning exposure; these will work wonders with this shot. I hope you don't mind, but I performed these adjustments (and rotated the shot slightly) on your JPEG image to come up with the below, which I suspect looks a little closer to what you were hoping for. You'll have a lot more latitude for adjustment with the raw file...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-24-2020 at 11:02 AM.
09-24-2020, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can give my two cents worth. This the internet and you are getting it for free, which is about what it's worth.
  • Crop out distracting backgrounds like the riverbank above.
  • The choice of f/22 is perhaps not the best one. Try f/8 or f/11 next time.
  • If you have something like a DA 50mm f/1.8 also try it at f/2. It will throw the background out of focus which is what you want in a portrait.
  • Try a reflector. You can buy one or go DIY.
  • Fill-in flash can be used instead of a reflector.
09-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Thank you for the links, I will certainly read them
one of these days, I will read them too

09-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's definitely worth reading those articles as well as others online that focus on basic portrait photography with natural lighting... it's the lighting here that's the main issue, since the subject isn't suitably lit.

However, you can do a great deal in post-processing to rescue the shot. Adjusting white balance to a warmer tone, increasing contrast and saturation just a little, bringing the shadows up and the highlights down, fine-tuning exposure; these will work wonders with this shot. I hope you don't mind, but I performed these adjustments (and rotated the shot slightly) on your JPEG image to come up with the below, which I suspect looks a little closer to what you were hoping for. You'll have a lot more latitude for adjustment with the raw file...
Thank you so much bigMacKCam. This is a great example of what can be done.

Ken

---------- Post added 09-24-20 at 02:23 PM ----------

Ok so I read image isolation and realized I remembered my f stop settings exactly backwards. Great article for a reminder of what I have forgotten over the years. I will definitely read the rest.
09-25-2020, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I believe f22 is my max option for depth of field
You want the smallest number possible in order to get a shallower DOF.

Regarding the image, I think it's a fun pose, a bright facial expression. I would definitely crop the river bank away from you. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the subtly hinted cleavage for a senior portrait, that might just be me.

I would try to shoot a similar picture either very early, or very late in the day, so that shadows are more beautiful and the light improves. Maybe consider using a flash or reflector to bring up her face slightly, however, to avoid having it all in the shadows. You want a softer light on the face, and more dramatic everywhere else.

Her shoulder is overexposed, that might be salvageable with a DNG file, be careful with that if you reshoot it (above advice about time of day will help).
09-25-2020, 05:48 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you can make it all about your daughter rather than the river, the rock and the grass, Ken! Here's another possibility.

If you like, to avoid the widest part of the hands facing the camera, the right could've come up to prop her cheek and look very relaxed/casual, and the left wrist would come off the rock with only the fingers dangling on it, and her top's slipped down her left shoulder and her back, so it can come up to match the level of on the right, but overall, it's a fun location and a fun pose!

It's important to take enough pics in enough situations in enough poses with enough outfits to maybe give her half a dozen keepers as choices. Six good photos in one hour is very doable. Beyond that and the energy will flag on her part, and you'll be able to tell in the resulting photos that you went too long.

Because of the time of day and that you went for a backlit situation with the sun, the highlight is big on her back, it's more than just a rim or edge for 3D effect, it's now a distraction from the face. The top pushed back up fixes that, or you lower your shooting position until less of it was visible - in which case she would lower her head to follow you, keeping the jawline strong. If kneeling doesn't get you low enough, drop to on your back or even your tummy to get the shot.

Portrait and fashion photographers work quickly and efficiently, that's because fiddling with settings and trying to work out how to execute something is what they've spent hours, years doing before the shoot, and that reduces everyone's stress on the day. You may have been overwhelmed by the novelty of what you were doing and didn't notice your ISO was fixed too high that first day.

Note that you can do all the above for free. You don't need the K-new or the DFA*85mm or whatever Sony mirrorless YouTube wants you to get out a credit card and buy, none of that will make you a better photographer, but those tips will.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by clackers; 09-25-2020 at 02:42 PM.
09-25-2020, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Hello all,

I am new to posting here and very inexperienced with portraits. I wasted a whole day of shots because I did not realize my camera was set to a high ISO and ruined everything. This shot is from day 2 and it feels grey. I had a cloudier day which I thought would work well.

Any thoughts on ways to edit or different ideas on a new picture would be great. This is my daughter's senior picture so I want it to be great.

Thank you,

Ken
Get closer. The picture is supposed to be about the girl, not the riverbank.
09-25-2020, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

some thoughts

do you have a lap top computer

fully charge battery

take with you

take sample shots of scene,, with or without your daughte.r checking various aperture settings for DOF issues. ISO as well

can you vary the camera and lens position, higher/lower

how about a shot from the side as oppose to head on

review in your computer

take notes

put your daughter into the shot

your daughter makes final choice

good luck

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-25-2020 at 06:40 AM.
11-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
Forum Member

Somewhat over exposed as others have said. You can fix a lot of that in Lightroom.
11-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

That's what i was going to say because the Lighting is very good on this one.