Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2008, 04:26 AM   #1

Clear as a bird

G'Day everyone ,please give ideas on this image,slightly cropped but no other changes.Is this clear as it gets or how could I improve.Hand held with 10d set on auto with 300mmDA lens.thanks in advance
Jaab

11-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea how to improve a funky looking pink bird and a nice smooth green background.

Looks fine to me.
11-10-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like this photo — which is even more impressive because it is handheld and so little postprocessing has been done. Because you asked for suggestions, I'll pass along one I've seen elsewhere regarding bird photography in particular and photos of people and animals in general: Try for a "catchlight" — a highlight in the eye(s).

You might enjoy looking at images at BirdPhotographers.Net - It Ain't Just Birds and perhaps also exploring Arthur Morris' work and offerings at Arthur Morris / BIRDS AS ART (He has a book on CD and recently republished his first book, which has been out of print.)

By the way, I have no commercial interest in either site, aside from being a site supporter — or member, or whatever the appropriate term is — of birdphotographers.net

I hope to see more of your work at this website!

All best,
Stu in Michigan
11-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

try this

how about this

I modified the brightness and contrast only.

I noted that the histogram did not go fully to the black, so I adjusted this, and then boosted the intermediate brightness a little.

gives it a little "pop" I think

First image is origonal, second is modified

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-08-2012 at 07:38 AM.
11-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #5

I think there is something very nice about the softness of the overall image. The detail is there. The colors are muted but it's very eye catching. I'm not a bird lover, but what a cute little guy. Looks almost like a stuffed animal.Great shot!
11-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
Gday
Thanks for the replies,yep the modifided bird certainly jumps out more at you.The shot was taken in the evening in only average light so that explains the muted image.I like the brighter image thanks .
jaab
11-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaab Quote
Gday
Thanks for the replies,yep the modifided bird certainly jumps out more at you.The shot was taken in the evening in only average light so that explains the muted image.I like the brighter image thanks .
jaab
glad you liked it. I dinn;t notice, was this shot origonally in JPEG or RAW?

If JPEG perhaps you should do as I do, and adjust contrast based upon lighting.

11-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Lowell showed the way IMHO. Otherwise great capture. One more thing though.. there is a little dust speck to the left of the bird's head. You could clone it out
11-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
Gday Lowell
shot on jpeg ,dont know that much about raw.Hopefully in the near future I will know more.
cheers Jaab
11-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
Syb
Veteran Member

great shot! Well done my friend!
11-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaab Quote
Gday Lowell
shot on jpeg ,dont know that much about raw.Hopefully in the near future I will know more.
cheers Jaab
depending on needs, you don't need to worry about RAW.

I shoot in JPEG almost exclusively, but I have spent the time to understand the impact of contrast, white balance, and to a lesser extent, sharpness, and saturation controls on my K10D to adjust them as the situation demands. for example High contrast situation, turn contrast down. Low contrast situation , turn contrast up. Indoor, or in shaded area, adjust the WB interactively (K10D has a great feature for this) ..... Even if I shoot RAW, I find it seems to carry the JPEG settings into the editor as the initial preview, that means getting it close in the field saves time later.
« Padlocked | Laura »