Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2020, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tell Me Why
Lens: Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Camera: KP Photo Location: Back Yard 

You prefer UnCropped

Cropped

Thank You!

10-24-2020, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The cropped vs un cropped preference will likely be based on what the viewer sees. That is to say, to me anyway, the cropped is a picture of a bird and the un cropped is a picture of a bird in its environment.
I prefer the un cropped though it might be improved a bit with the bird not quite so centered. I wouldn't stick to the rule of thirds; maybe take just a wee bit off of the right side and bottom.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-24-2020 at 12:20 PM.
10-24-2020, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
You prefer UnCropped

Cropped

Thank You!
Cut, cut, cut! But...
10-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Reason I asked is I usually CUT CUT CUT!!!

So I processed them a bit differently and cropped one.
Thanks for the help!

Hang up and DRIVE!

10-25-2020, 12:38 AM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose it is semantics, but as the 2nd picture is a different image, and thus it may or may not have been cropped. The inference from what is said/shown is misleading.

Oh, you subsequently said they are different images.
10-26-2020, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually crop every image, even if just to level a horizon, more often to achieve a pleasing composition that was just not possible in camera. I am getting older and less flexible and frequently unable to get exactly the framing I want. It also allows me to remove unwanted elements. I don't carry a full range of focal lengths with me. I don't believe the camera aspect ratio is always the best. I know some folks maintain SOOC is the way to go. I am not one of them. I shoot in raw and the crop tool is just one of the many tools available. Cropping affords many alternative compositions that are simply not possible otherwise.

Nice images by the way.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
10-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I usually crop every image, even if just to level a horizon, more often to achieve a pleasing composition that was just not possible in camera. I am getting older and less flexible and frequently unable to get exactly the framing I want. It also allows me to remove unwanted elements. I don't carry a full range of focal lengths with me. I don't believe the camera aspect ratio is always the best. I know some folks maintain SOOC is the way to go. I am not one of them. I shoot in raw and the crop tool is just one of the many tools available. Cropping affords many alternative compositions that are simply not possible otherwise.

Nice images by the way.

Thanks Bruce!
Your description made me look in a mirror, as we might be twins.
I do like the closeup version!

Hang up and DRIVE!

10-27-2020, 10:18 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, taking pictures of wildlife, especially birds are no easy task. Because you can't pose the birds or direct them to look in a certain direction. You always end up with what the bird was going to give you.

Being able to get these pictures is half the struggle. The next step is extracting the creative story embedded in the picture.

The Herron is looking intensely at something to the left, and that is a story, it draws you to want to know what is it looking at. As the photographer/editor you need to give the picture some space for the story to become visible to the viewer. You could place the bird on the lower right hand third, although I think it might be interesting to go much further. Give it more space to look into by breaking the 'rule' of thirds.

Once you achieve that intrigue, then it is time to deal with the distractions. The background sets the location, but it is over powering. I suggest to bring down the exposure on the background, perhaps even add a blur, and reduce saturation. You could use a brush on Camera Raw or Lightroom.

At the same time increase the exposure of the bird to separate it from the background. The aim is to convert a busy and cluttered picture into a minimalistic piece of art.

If all your lucky stars line up, you may end up with an interesting pose of a Herron staring at something and the viewer is drawn to look in the same direction.

If this picture does not work out, you can always take it as a challenge to go back and take another picture to eventually create that pose and composition.

Hope I could express into written words my intent.
10-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Superb explanation. Agreed with all, my issue is (me) struggle to keep it look like a processed silver image, not DSLR that had been photoshopped.
Blurring the background is always a giveaway in EXIF . I’m working more on a tripod setup rather than hand held, but grabbing any sharp image is always good.

I need to up my shooting also , but that’s my current challenge for which I’m good with.

I will play some more with this image. As to what’s bothering it, I suspect the photographer was the primary disruption for interrupting breakfast, as it was turning towards me.

Hang up and DRIVE!

Last edited by MikeMcE; 10-27-2020 at 12:43 PM.
10-27-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The centered subject makes the viewer inspect the surroundings more, which are busy and not particularly interesting. The cropped version puts the emphasis more where it is needed, but the framing could be improved. Bruce's version is probably the best choice - it's all in the face - though I might include more of the back of the neck, too.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-27-2020 at 10:52 PM.
11-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote

Nice images by the way.
Yes, yes, yes!
11-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I love this forum !
Great Thoughts and creativity.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I prefer the un cropped though it might be improved a bit with the bird not quite so centered. I wouldn't stick to the rule of thirds; maybe take just a wee bit off of the right side and bottom.
I had a similar reaction. It seemed like there were more creative ways to crop. But the bigger problem with the comparison is that the cropped image is so much darker. It is possible the cropped could win out if it had the same bright tones as the uncropped.
11-12-2020, 06:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I had a similar reaction. It seemed like there were more creative ways to crop. But the bigger problem with the comparison is that the cropped image is so much darker. It is possible the cropped could win out if it had the same bright tones as the uncropped.

I was trying to isolate the bird from the background. I’m not sure either light or dark solves that .I can say I’ve recropped this bird close to twenty five times, still not happy, but have a wide variety to look at.

I’ve not seen this one or the juvenile since that morning.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-12-2020, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #15
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
I was trying to isolate the bird from the background.
That's probably going to be a challenge no matter what you do because the bird is sitting in the background. There's no physical separation. Short of brightening just the bird, which would look strange, I'm not sure you can. But there are likely ways to crop that puts the bird off-centre that will make the background less apparent.