Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Laura

This is a photo of my daughter. I need some honest opinions either good or bad. Dont spare my feelings please just tell me what you think.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First, I like the composition. However, the image looks a little soft. Did you sharpen the image after downsizing for posting? If not, you might want to try a little Unsharp Mask with a radius around 0.75 - 1.00 and a strength/threshold of 75 - 100 %.

I also think the image suffers a little bit with contrast. Without seeing the orginal, it is hard to tell if an alternate b&w conversion method might help this image. You might want to take a look at this tutorial (Methods of Black and White Conversion - Tutorials) and play with the conversion a little bit. You may also want to consider looking at this tutorial (Move the Light - Tutorials) for darkening the background a bit. Not sure if the image will improve but it would be interesting to see.

Tim
11-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the focus looks pretty good (look at the right eye), but the depth of field is a lot shallower than you'd want for a photo like this. You could stop the lens down a couple fo stops and still have a nice blurred background. I'd rather see the nose, lips, and eyes in focus with the rest of the frame falling off.
11-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A softened the photo on purpose. My daughter is 15 and is going through some skin issues. at full size I can see every blemish and all the pores in her skin. Layering kept the sharp focus on the eye. Apparently you think the softening is overdone?

11-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the original for comparison. I wanted to do a flattering photo of her. She is very aware of her skin and it bothers her.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I can understand about the skin.

Wonder what it would be like if you did a selective desaturation of the image ... maybe colour the eyes in it and keep them sharpish ... and then the remainder as a softened B&W.

After seeing the original ... and the B&W image ... you have done well to hide the skin blemishes.
11-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Judging from the original, you want to try a few different methods for going B&W. You want the greens to come out darker.

Also do some googling and reading up on retouching techniques. You can ditch the acne without getting so blurry.

I messed around with your resized original in photoshop, and got a pretty decent result that should please the acne sensitive.

11-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree about the blur being a little bit much. I also find that the image is framed a bit too tightly. I don't mind the upper portion, but I keep thinking that I would prefer it if we saw her whole chin.

Otherwise, nice lighting and nice expression on your daughter's face !
11-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
Judging from the original, you want to try a few different methods for going B&W. You want the greens to come out darker.

Also do some googling and reading up on retouching techniques. You can ditch the acne without getting so blurry.

I messed around with your resized original in photoshop, and got a pretty decent result that should please the acne sensitive.

Very nice edit.

For the B&W conv. tutorial I posted, the channel mixer method with red (primarily) and blue stronger than green appears to work similar to your edit. DPChallenge also has a good tutorial on retouching (http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=54).

Tim
11-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I agree about the blur being a little bit much. I also find that the image is framed a bit too tightly. I don't mind the upper portion, but I keep thinking that I would prefer it if we saw her whole chin.

Otherwise, nice lighting and nice expression on your daughter's face !
True, one of the first things I thought when seeing the photo was that there wasn't enough chin in there.
More careful post-processing is definitely worth it here, as raz-0 has demonstrated. It's a good image, worth spending time improving on.
11-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.