Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Moose Lake Midday Magic
Lens: SMC-DA 16-45 f4.0 Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Moose Lake State Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 

I spotted the Lily Pads growing just off the side of a fishing pier, and knew this image had potential. The challenge here was with dynamic range and getting enough detail in the trees across the lake during midday. I used a 3-stop GND & CP filter to help control the harsh light reflecting off the
lake surface, and then carefully post-processed in Raw Therapee/PaintShop Pro/Nik Color Efex to try to achieve a natural balance. Comments?
Does it work for you? Please click on the image to view it on FLICKR in full resolution.

Last edited by NatureSeeker808; 11-26-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Highlighting link to FLICKR
11-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very interesting elements. Sharpness is good, but the color seems to be over saturated and unnatural. The mid day sun is difficult to deal with and get good color without dynamic range issues. There looks to be only minor losses in dynamic range in the cloud highlights, but the forest is almost too bright and prominent. I know how hard it can be work with some of these conditions, and sometimes the longer I mess with it the worse it gets. I would take a fresh round of color edits from raw...it could of course be my screen calibration too.
11-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #3

It is a pretty landscape, although the colors seem a bit strong. What did you pick as point of interest?
12-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's a nice photo, and I don't mind the colors... although I would probably mess a little bit with WB and tint (towards yellow and green, since I feel there's a little excess reds/magentas).
My monitor is profiled but, as always, no monitor and no calibration/profilation is perfect.

The vegetation in the foreground is interesting, but there's a bit too much of it, I think... I would have probably tried another framing with a slightly longer lens, balancing the colored trees beyond the lake and the swampy vegetation in the foreground.

12-13-2020, 09:29 AM   #5

Sorry, does nothing for me. No real point of interest.
04-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NatureSeeker808 Quote
I spotted the Lily Pads growing just off the side of a fishing pier, and knew this image had potential. The challenge here was with dynamic range and getting enough detail in the trees across the lake during midday. I used a 3-stop GND & CP filter to help control the harsh light reflecting off the
lake surface, and then carefully post-processed in Raw Therapee/PaintShop Pro/Nik Color Efex to try to achieve a natural balance. Comments?
Does it work for you? Please click on the image to view it on FLICKR in full resolution.

Gorgeous colors and true to life.
04-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it even with the saturated colours.
The full res on Flickr looks much better.
Works for me.