Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HghlnDR Quote
Too heavy post-production?
Looks oversharpened to me. All the fine details are too sharp and brittle. There isn't any PP fixes for that too once it's done.

Colors/Saturation are totally to taste though, but I'd have shifted the hue from that greenish yellow to a more orangey golden. I personally like the slightly boosted saturation. Gives more life to an otherwise grey theme from all the fog. I went a little too heavy though, but you get the idea. Take it or leave it (since you asked).

I really like the scene you captured in the photo. I'm sure the experience of witnessing that, first hand, was all the more amazing!

Last edited by mee; 06-14-2021 at 10:51 AM.
12-16-2020, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
You don’t have to correct anything. The point is, you nailed the story. PP should be communicating the feeling , first of all. I love the outcome.
Thank you!

---------- Post added 12-16-20 at 08:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Looks oversharpened to me. All the fine details are too sharp and brittle. There isn't any PP fixes for that too once it's done.

Colors/Saturation are totally to taste though, but I'd have shifted the hue from that greenish yellow to a more orangey golden. I personally like the slightly boosted saturation. Gives more life to an otherwise grey theme from all the fog. I went a little too heavy though, but you get the idea. Take it or leave it (since you asked).

I really like the scene you captured in the photo. I'm sure the experience of witnessing that, first hand, was all the more amazing!
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
In these days, I have made some minor adjustments, including a slight shift to the orange, as you also suggested, and I must say I like it more now.
12-17-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you have a circular polarizer?

It could have helped to reduce the reflections, especially the trees on the far side of the pond...which would make a less busy image more focused on the fog and the light
12-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
Did you have a circular polarizer?

It could have helped to reduce the reflections, especially the trees on the far side of the pond...which would make a less busy image more focused on the fog and the light
Yes, I've used it, maybe not at its full power, but it didn't help too much with the reflections

12-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Yes, I've used it, maybe not at its full power, but it didn't help too much with the reflections
It was a really nice capture of a really nice moment.
12-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
The fog in combination with the sun has a little glaring effect in the centre,
Good on you for being out at the right time of day and recognizing the potential of the scene.
This is a good image despite the glare, and most PP would minimize the glare but also the presence of the mist, so it is tough to fix via PP.
Understanding that light and mist only last so long, changing your position, and POV 3 or 4 steps to the right and a bit lower might have allowed you to get the sun rays, and mist in the scene, without as much glare, and without that bent branch coming in from the left side . I often have to remind myself to change position and height in situations like this as well.
12-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
This is a good image despite the glare, and most PP would minimize the glare but also the presence of the mist, so it is tough to fix via PP.
I could have made my post clearer in regard of the beauty of the image, but I am not totaly sure why you quoted me, because you basically said the same thing as I.
Or was it meant as kind of an intro for the suggested change of position?

12-18-2020, 03:26 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Or was it meant as kind of an intro for the suggested change of position?
Yes. The comments are related.
12-18-2020, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Good on you for being out at the right time of day and recognizing the potential of the scene.
Understanding that light and mist only last so long, changing your position, and POV 3 or 4 steps to the right and a bit lower might have allowed you to get the sun rays, and mist in the scene, without as much glare, and without that bent branch coming in from the left side . I often have to remind myself to change position and height in situations like this as well.
Thanks for your comment and yes, those are all very valid tips to always remember once being on location.
I've tried different compositions and POVs, also other shots also with the DA35 and 50-200WR, but the big problem was the very busy environment that limits your movements.
I think that I will revisit this location with the tripod, so that I can take the time to refine the scene and take the shot without fear of loosing balance and get soaked
12-20-2020, 04:57 AM   #25

"to transmit the feelings I felt on location while shooting it" - I love this comment - so true.
You were lucky to have stumbled across this scene at just the right time. It is a very complex scene - well done on your original PP I say.
12-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AnthonyR Quote
"to transmit the feelings I felt on location while shooting it" - I love this comment - so true.
You were lucky to have stumbled across this scene at just the right time. It is a very complex scene - well done on your original PP I say.
Thanks
06-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have taken this shot this morning during a walk not too far from home.
I discovered this little marsh in the wood and thought that the conditions seemed interesting with the steam from the water and the ray of light illuminating the fallen log.
I shot it hand-held, with the polariser, not too low, to keep some separation between the log and the tufts of grass emerging from the water.
In post production I warmed it up and emphasized the light on the subject trying to transmit the feelings I felt on location while shooting it.

Maybe it's not an interesting enough subject?
Too heavy post-production?

Light in the marsh by Davide Ripamonti, su Flickr
One early morning ... nice
11-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's just perfect. It's realistic and convincing. Makes me feel cool air on my face!
11-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #29
Forum Member

I really like this picture. It seems like a cold morning in autumn!