Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #1

Monitor Colour Calibrations, blues seem way off?
Lens: DA-L 50-200 WR Camera: K-50 

I was adjusting some colours to account for contrast loss through a window, and adjusted to what I thought was a punchy, but balanced image. After processing through Silkypix and double checking through my second monitor and my phone, suddenly the blue sky is WAY off and pushing too far into cyan. I've confirmed this with two other friends, checking against their phones and another monitor and they all look a little too cyan.

My monitor's definitely not super high end (Dell U2417H), but I've never been disappointed with the colours up until this point...

Even going into the raw DNGs and looking at them on both of my screens, the raws look a little too cyan on the second screen (unknown 15" Dell, from an office giving away equipment), while the main monitor looks much more realistic.

Sky above the squirrel is a bit cyan on the main monitor, but not terribly off....

This one has general saturation at 1.08 (general setting I use for this lens), with -60% in the fine colour controller on Silkypix, and a maxed out 100% saturation boost on the partial correction tool (bluejay only). My monitor looks a little desaturated here, sort of a grey cloudless day.

I'm not really able to calibrate my monitor any further, so at this point I'm just curious how far off my blue channel might be, and any compensations I'll have to do in the future...

12-13-2020, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Surnia,

I am using a Samsung Syncmaster P2770 and an Acer V246HL. The samsun tend to display bright and acer a bit washed out. That said, your analysis seems consistent with what I am seeing- The squirrel image is heavy on Cyan and a bit on reds and the Bluejay is slightly de-saturated.
12-14-2020, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Ditto on the cyan, on reds I've often been fooled because the chromatic aberrations (e.g. on the fence and the head of the squirrel) register as "red(-ish)", but have nothing to do with WB-Tint.
So I'd clean those before going further.
12-14-2020, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #4

This image is very funny the squirrel is a top model has an attitude of indifference.

12-15-2020, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The sky in the first image goes slightly into cyan at my (uncalibrated) monitor, but it is not terrible and might has to do with the out of focus blur and the close proximity to the leaves (assuming you concentrated on the squirrel when adjusting WB).

The sky in the second image shows a faint blue for me. As oversaturated seems to be the trend at the moment for many images, this is not a trendy image (in a good way) with its more muted but fairly natural colors in my opinion (I would probably add a little more contrast or reduce EV by -0.10, I would have to experiment myself as to whats better looking)
12-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Surnia,

I am using a Samsung Syncmaster P2770 and an Acer V246HL. The samsun tend to display bright and acer a bit washed out. That said, your analysis seems consistent with what I am seeing- The squirrel image is heavy on Cyan and a bit on reds and the Bluejay is slightly de-saturated.
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Ditto on the cyan, on reds I've often been fooled because the chromatic aberrations (e.g. on the fence and the head of the squirrel) register as "red(-ish)", but have nothing to do with WB-Tint.
So I'd clean those before going further.
Thank you! I'll have to keep a general mental note to keep saturations lower for vibrant images then, seems like this monitor struggles to bring out high saturation well.

This lens doesn't typically have much issue with CA, however it is one of my cheapest so I wouldn't be surprised if there's small amounts around. I was mainly fighting contrast loss from being at a 60+ angle through a window, and reflections from the curtains!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex_Ros Quote
This image is very funny the squirrel is a top model has an attitude of indifference.
That little guy (or gal) is one of the feistier ones of the neighbourhood. Loves to sunbathe on the fence posts sometimes, and will claim that entire stretch against other larger squirrels, or the occasional bird.

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
The sky in the first image goes slightly into cyan at my (uncalibrated) monitor, but it is not terrible and might has to do with the out of focus blur and the close proximity to the leaves (assuming you concentrated on the squirrel when adjusting WB).

The sky in the second image shows a faint blue for me. As oversaturated seems to be the trend at the moment for many images, this is not a trendy image (in a good way) with its more muted but fairly natural colors in my opinion (I would probably add a little more contrast or reduce EV by -0.10, I would have to experiment myself as to whats better looking)
Didn't do much in terms of WB adjustment, but yes the focus was on getting the squirrel. I'll be dialing it down in the future, mental note that this lens and monitor combo doesn't render too well at higher levels.

Definitely less "trendy" as you put it for the Blue jay, and I like it to be a bit more real. I pushed it far into the other end to be sure that I was seeing the low saturation levels correctly, but the final edit will likely bring it up a little, and hopefully get the bird up a bit more to bring out the blues.

Thank you to everyone for the critiques and answers!
12-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great image. The squirrel colors seem spot on. I don't think the image needs tweaked anymore. The bird the whole image could be toned down just a bit.