Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 07:45 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok, rant time. I originally had this photo printed at Walgreens, so one of those big box instant print type places photographers tend to avoid. It was mostly due to time constraints to make sure I could give this gift in time for Christmas. I was pleased with the outcome and didn't really have any complaints. I also wanted to compare it to the local camera shop that also had in-house printing, so put in an order there.

Well... You can see the results. The top photo is the camera shop, the bottom is the Walgreens print. The camera shop looks to have applied their own edits similar to what I originally posted in this thread, except even worse with the saturation. I'll give them a little credit on the face shadowing improvements but some of the features are blown out, the background and hat are almost indistinguishable, and the whites are almost blown out in some places. Despite the one or two improvements, it's overall a much worse photo.

I know part of the issue was in my setup (I forgot to use my off camera flash and thought the sunlight would've helped the shadows), and I do thank you all for the helpful advise. We are giving them the Walgreens print today, and I may have to pay that camera store a visit to discuss these issues when I have the time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LM-V600  Photo 
12-22-2020, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #17
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the latest version, so I think you took all our advice onboard. Sorry to hear of the printing woes. I've learned to tell printers not to make any changes to images I've worked on since they sometimes think they are way smarter than they are
12-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
And the results are in, the parents loved it. My first "typical" photo session of a baby was a success, and I have no desire to ever do it again! Lol