Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Portrait for a friend
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Camera: K3 II Photo Location: Wisconsin ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5 

A before and after image for a photo I'm planning to print as a gift for a friend. I'm kind of questioning the saturation of the backdrop, but otherwise I'm not seeing anything major on my end. I'd appreciate another set of eyes on it before I print it off.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

A little cropping all around.
12-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't like how dark that red is, the backdrop that is. It being dark, and the kid's face being half in shadow, makes it less... poppy.

I'd lighten the backdrop and brighten the face. The red would be more pink which is less festive but yeah
12-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, background is too bright.

12-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
I don't like how dark that red is, the backdrop that is.
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter89 Quote
Yes, background is too bright.
So which is it? Lol.
12-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
So which is it? Lol.
I was speaking of the luminosity of the red, so if you raised it, it would go towards *pink* which produces a less *bright* red, which is what it currently is.
12-18-2020, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was speaking of the luminosity of the red, so if you raised it, it would go towards *pink* which produces a less *bright* red, which is what it currently is.
I get your point and will look into that. My comment was mostly the juxtaposition of you saying it was too dark and the other member saying it was too bright.

12-19-2020, 01:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I get your point and will look into that. My comment was mostly the juxtaposition of you saying it was too dark and the other member saying it was too bright.
Gotcha

Another suggestion, I see you're from WI... where's the Packers gear?! Maybe photoshop some logos on those green baubles! Go Pack Go
12-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Go Pack Go
I'd rather they just go. Like to another city. I hate football and the traffic problems they create in Green Bay sucks.
12-19-2020, 05:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd rather they just go. Like to another city. I hate football and the traffic problems they create in Green Bay sucks.
Traffic isn't much of a problem this year though, I bet
12-19-2020, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Traffic isn't much of a problem this year though, I bet
I'm a trucker, so the less traffic, the better.

Btw and to bring this back on track, I ended up sending that and a couple others to Walgreens to print (don't laugh, my monitor sucks too much for photo labs XD ), and they called to ask for a copyright release because they looked like a professional shoot. Guess I'm doing something right, and will pick them up either tonight or tomorrow.
12-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The second version is better in that the toy soldier, snowman and tree decorations are all brighter and have more pop as does the baby's t-shirt. But there are two things I really don't like about the second image that are better in the first. One is that there is some contrast between the santa hat and the background, while in the second image they are almost, but not quite the same shade of red. The second is that the tweaking of the reds has made the baby's complexion worse, with parts of the lips and cheeks standing out in an unflattering way. I'm probably being overly critical, but hope this is helpful.
12-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The second version is better in that the toy soldier, snowman and tree decorations are all brighter and have more pop as does the baby's t-shirt. But there are two things I really don't like about the second image that are better in the first. One is that there is some contrast between the santa hat and the background, while in the second image they are almost, but not quite the same shade of red. The second is that the tweaking of the reds has made the baby's complexion worse, with parts of the lips and cheeks standing out in an unflattering way. I'm probably being overly critical, but hope this is helpful.
Nope, not overly critical at all. The print turned out much better than I expected, but I need to reprint it anyway and will try to get those touch ups done first. When I ordered it, I sent the wrong one and printed this 3.4MP low resolution copy with my watermark on it. Oops. XD
12-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think this is going to do it for this photo. I basically started from scratch and didn't get so aggressive on removing the wrinkles of the backdrop and didn't pump up the saturation so much. The clashing of it with the Santa hat is still a bit there, but I don't think there's any avoiding that without a drastic color alteration. Still better than it was. I also worked on the forehead shadowing and facial blemish, and overall satisfied. The only thing bugging me, and I think is due to the lens itself, is some of the props are not very sharp. I tried putting it through Topaz Sharpen AI (the raw, tiffs, and jpegs), and it surprisingly made the results worse.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #15

It is actually quite abstract. I like that is a truth.

But as they say, all baby pictures are beautiful.