Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two Rocks
Lens: Lensbaby Velvet 56 Camera: K-5ll Photo Location: Acadia National Park ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F8 

I have wanted to get this shot for a long time. The foreground rock only comes out of the water at low tide so timing is everything. I'm looking for basic feedback on composition, color, contrast and noise levels.
Also, there are a couple stories here which people who know the beach will understand. I'm interested if anyone who doesn't know the beach reads anything into the image.
TIA

-Kenn-

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
12-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Really great picture. Love your location planning. ����
12-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
Really great picture. Love your location planning. ����
Thank you!
12-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you got the composition. The colors seem a bit flat to me, but I don't know what this scene looks like and thus whether this is just an accurate representation.

In terms of story, these remind me of whale tails.

12-20-2020, 04:39 AM   #5

Agree on the composition. Re post-processing - needs more contrast, and try adjusting the highlights/shadows to pick out more detail in the wave.
12-21-2020, 04:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I think you got the composition. The colors seem a bit flat to me, but I don't know what this scene looks like and thus whether this is just an accurate representation.

In terms of story, these remind me of whale tails.
The color should be flat. It was a very cold and gray day. It is processed as monotone with a hint of blue to keep it cool.

I had not seen the whale tail, good eye! There are whales off the coast here so that adds to the story.

Thank you!

-Kenn-
12-21-2020, 04:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AnthonyR Quote
Agree on the composition. Re post-processing - needs more contrast, and try adjusting the highlights/shadows to pick out more detail in the wave.
Thank you Anthony! My goal was to be subtle but I agree the wave needed a little more definition. Rather than universal adjustments I went with a little local dodging and burning.

-Kenn-

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
12-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

This is a nice abstract image. I think that it could also work in B&W to achieve a more minimalism.
I'm not so sure about the composition, it seems a bit unbalanced towards the left: my eyes keep jumping from one rock to the other while the right third of the image is a bit too empty. I would try a square crop.
Now I'm curious to know the local stories of this two rocks!
12-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HghlnDR Quote
This is a nice abstract image. I think that it could also work in B&W to achieve a more minimalism.
I'm not so sure about the composition, it seems a bit unbalanced towards the left: my eyes keep jumping from one rock to the other while the right third of the image is a bit too empty. I would try a square crop.
Now I'm curious to know the local stories of this two rocks!
Thank you Hgh! This is actually a monotone image with a fairly strong blue cast. Perhaps a bit too strong?
My aim with the composition is twofold. The bright area of the wave is the third point of a triangle which should keep the eye moving. Granted it an awkward scalene triangle and the wave is not as eye grabbing as the rocks. Also the ocean and waves are a big part of the story therefor should be a big part of the composition.
So here's the story of the little island. It is called Old Soaker because of the surf it creates. It breaks up the currents that would drag all the sand out to sea and creates eddies which carry sand into the cove. There are no other beaches like this anywhere around here so the beach literally owes its existence to Old Soaker. Sand Beach is a very popular tourist attraction in Acadia National Park and is packed with people in summer. In the winter.......not so much. This was taken on a cold winter day which is why I went the blue cast.
Thanks again for your critique!

-Kenn-
12-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing the story of the "rock", really interesting phenomenon. Now I like the photo even more