Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2021, 11:47 AM - 5 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Panorama
Lens: 16-85@23mm Camera: K3 Photo Location: Kamloops, BC ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F16 

This is the first time I've posted here, but I figured I may as well ask other photographer's opinions on things. This is a panorama I did recently, and I played a fair bit with what to include or crop out in the final edit. First is the version I think I like best. I like the colour balance better in it, especially the sky, and I'm not sure the extra hills on the left side (second picture) really add much to it. I do like that there's a bit more balance in the second one though, with clouds reflected on both sides of the picture.

And the full photo with adjusted colours.

Thanks,
Kristian

Last edited by turbo_bird; 02-08-2021 at 12:35 PM.
02-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the first one best too. The others are a bit darker and have less contrast towards the left side. The two peaks and their reflections make the image for my taste.
02-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am just an amateur, but #1 is the most appealing to me. I like the colors. I am drawn to the sunlight on the mountains.
02-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

The first image works the best because you have a clear focus - the mountains - and you have the contrast with the foreground on the right. You also have contrasting colours. You lose both of these in #2. On my screen it has a washed out feel. If you want the extended view #3 works better than #2, because you again have the colour contrast and the blues are even brighter than in #1. In #1 the standout colours are the mountains, while in #3 it is the water.

02-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to you all, that's about what I was thinking after I put the panorama together too. Sometimes less is more. You also pretty much echoed what my wife told me.
Kristian
02-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For my to cents worth, I would go for something between the centre and bottom images as far as colour goes adding a little blue to the sky and water. Secondly I would trim a little of the left where the bright patch of water pokes in from the side. Apart from that well done. The light on the peaks is sensational.
02-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
For my to cents worth, I would go for something between the centre and bottom images as far as colour goes adding a little blue to the sky and water. Secondly I would trim a little of the left where the bright patch of water pokes in from the side. Apart from that well done. The light on the peaks is sensational.
I hadn't thought about just cropping out the snow covered sandbar on the left, I'll give that a go. Or did you mean trim a bit more off the left of the first shot? There's a ripple from a post stuck in the water that detracts from the reflection for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.
Kristian
03-05-2021, 04:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
I hadn't thought about just cropping out the snow covered sandbar on the left, I'll give that a go. Or did you mean trim a bit more off the left of the first shot? There's a ripple from a post stuck in the water that detracts from the reflection for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.
Kristian
I was referring to the bright coloured patch on the centre left of the two lower images. A minor point I suppose but having things intrude into an image from outside the frame can be distracting.

Cheers

03-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I too like number 1 but I'd like just a bit more adding to the left. You have cropped just to the right of the bigger tree, just crop to the other side of that tree with a bit of space... hope that makes sense. I've had a go on one of your other images and for me it balanced it a bit more but please bear in mind I generally don't know what I'm talking about��
03-12-2021, 04:45 AM   #10

I like all three...wonderful!
03-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

In the first one, the vertical density streaks from the frame stitching are not as noticeable too.
03-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I prefer the first crop, and like its colours. Maybe something between first and seconds regarding colours?
5 Days Ago   #13
Forum Member

Crit wise...

I'd lose the distracting bank in the left side. It adds nothing and pulls the eye

The core interest is the mountains, and their reflections in the middle left. I'd have used a longer FL - zoomed in to frame mountain, reflection, some sky and clouds equally in reflection and sky keeping the 3:2 aspect ratio of the camera.

Ultra wide images, unless printed massively - rarely look good on screen and they do not really relate to how we see the world.