Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 09:48 AM - 7 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lofoten, Norway
Lens: 14mm Camera: k-70 Photo Location: Lofoten ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F2.8 

So, last summer I bought a manual wide lens (yup I got the aperture block failure, I decided to get a manual lens since I wanted a wide lens for landscape photography either way..) This autumn, I got the luck to go to Lofoten island, and obviously I did not miss my chance to take pictures.
I took many pictures and processed them, but somehow I'm not satisfied but the result. The landscape looks really dark and sad while the landscape doesn't stick out of the picture. More generally I'm not really convinced by my editing although I feel like it could be way better.

Let me know what you think and if you know if there is any way to improve it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
02-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know very little about post processing, and have been in the digital world a couple of years, but I like your photo, it gives you the feeling of winter on the way. I think its a great shot very gloomy. Also like the colors in the clouds.
02-12-2021, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only way to improve that is print it large and have it framed!!! Well done.
02-13-2021, 05:27 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could lift the shadows, here done in Photoshop with the shadows/hightligt adjustment (first sample). And add contrast, here done with Topaz Clarity (second sample).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
02-13-2021, 06:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomlavl Quote
So, last summer I bought a manual wide lens (yup I got the aperture block failure, I decided to get a manual lens since I wanted a wide lens for landscape photography either way..) This autumn, I got the luck to go to Lofoten island, and obviously I did not miss my chance to take pictures..

I live there.....

I see that you have taken the trip up Reinebringen.
02-13-2021, 06:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses!

Yup, I guess lifting up the shadows help. I'll try to play with lightning a bit more.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I live there.....

I see that you have taken the trip up Reinebringen.
Wow, you are lucky to live there! I went there in late September, It looks so great, and also there were almost no tourists which was even better! I also took very good shots of the northern lights.
02-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You could lift the shadows, here done in Photoshop with the shadows/hightligt adjustment (first sample). And add contrast, here done with Topaz Clarity (second sample).
^ +1
I might also add bit of contrast in the clouds, there are some variations in colour that could really be exploited.

I'd also try to see if an auto exposure or half stop boost would brighten it up a little. You don't want to destroy the mood, so clearly these would be things to try, whether or not they'd work to your satisfaction would be another issue.

02-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think there's really anything to be done to improve it.
02-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Lofoten, Norway
There looks to be plenty of information within the image to work on... but so much depends on the final look you're trying to achieve.

If you wanted to make the RAW image available in some way... I'm pretty sure members here would love to have a crack at placing their interpretation on it.
02-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
There looks to be plenty of information within the image to work on... but so much depends on the final look you're trying to achieve.

If you wanted to make the RAW image available in some way... I'm pretty sure members here would love to have a crack at placing their interpretation on it.
Actually I would love to see that! Here's the download link Upload files for free - _IMG1640.DNG - ufile.io
02-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

So, last summer I bought a manual wide lens (yup I got the aperture block failure, I decided to get a manual lens since I wanted a wide lens for landscape photography either way..) This autumn, I got the luck to go to Lofoten island, and obviously I did not miss my chance to take pictures.
I took many pictures and processed them, but somehow I'm not satisfied but the result. The landscape looks really dark and sad while the landscape doesn't stick out of the picture. More generally I'm not really convinced by my editing although I feel like it could be way better.

Let me know what you think and if you know if there is any way to improve it.
I like Ole's picture #2. That is how I would process it!
To TOMlavlW: Which 14mm lens did you use? Great image in any case...
02-20-2021, 05:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The fact is that you were sabotaged by the weather conditions. There's haze, humidity, The wide angle did exaggerate the perspective. The light is tough to process. I think you could try to play with color, some split toning. Bringing up the shadows is probably recommended, as I would do for the highlights. Contrast will only split the image in two parts, so I would decrease it a little. Your composition is very depended on the focal length so there's not much to say, you framed as much as you wanted and that is perfectly fine.
Ideally, I know, long shot or even impossible , I would get the shot again, in a different time and try some long exposure with maybe some clouds. There are shots that we only get to try once, I know, but if you have the chance, I'm sure you could do some magic.
02-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
I like Ole's picture #2. That is how I would process it!
To TOMlavlW: Which 14mm lens did you use? Great image in any case...
It is the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED AS UMC. Thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
The fact is that you were sabotaged by the weather conditions. There's haze, humidity, The wide angle did exaggerate the perspective. The light is tough to process. I think you could try to play with color, some split toning. Bringing up the shadows is probably recommended, as I would do for the highlights. Contrast will only split the image in two parts, so I would decrease it a little. Your composition is very depended on the focal length so there's not much to say, you framed as much as you wanted and that is perfectly fine.
Ideally, I know, long shot or even impossible , I would get the shot again, in a different time and try some long exposure with maybe some clouds. There are shots that we only get to try once, I know, but if you have the chance, I'm sure you could do some magic.
True, the conditions were far from perfect and quite dark. I will try to get there back again for sure, let's hope the frontier will reopen soon...

I don't know much about landscape photography, I guess the proper way to do it is to use a very small aperture/tripod. Is HDR a good idea?
02-20-2021, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Nice image to start with, I like the left-right transition from warm to cool colors, and of course the overall scene and conditions are wonderful. To adjust for my taste, I find the top left side is too bright and with nothing to balance on the right side, and the big dark empty area on the bottom left is too heavy. Here's what I have with a quick edit to crop to 16:9, lift some shadows, and local edits to balance the image.
02-21-2021, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Actually I would love to see that!
As I did suggest to you, let us all have go... I'd better have a crack at it myself.

So here's mine... mind you, I think I must have been there on a different misty evening to you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-21-2021 at 07:22 AM.