Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, nice picture!

By the way Capture One reports a 15mm lens.

Since I love Black & White my quick attempt is of that kind. Maybe you like it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by acoufap; 02-21-2021 at 10:06 AM.
02-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomlavl Quote
It is the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED AS UMC. Thank you

True, the conditions were far from perfect and quite dark. I will try to get there back again for sure, let's hope the frontier will reopen soon...

I don't know much about landscape photography, I guess the proper way to do it is to use a very small aperture/tripod. Is HDR a good idea?
Landscapes require an aperture small enough to finely focus, but not too small, to avoid diffraction. Normally about f8-f13
HDR is praised by many as a good way to go with landscapes. I never go this way, because it's so easy to go wrong. I've tried different exposure settings, Pixel Shift, bracketing ... I prefer to expose for the mid-tones as it is easy to recover detail from both shadows and highlights. A sturdy tripod, the lowest ISO possible (100-640 is as far as I am willing to go for orthodox landscape work) and most of the times I generally underexpose by 1/2-1 stop, to get the most out of colour detail and saturation, naturally.
Auto - HDR is often not so realistic, so I'd prefer to approach it manually. This is doable in almost any situation if you try to work with masks. Classic burn/dodge is very effective , especially easy (with some practice , of course) in LR , darktable.... Do not overdo it. Shadows should be dark enough. If you don't like the result, study the light of the area and come back when it's most complimentary. I myself shoot in hard sunlight, but I don't aim for the magical , commercial , mainstream looking landscapes, because that's not what represents my place. Hope I've been clear.
02-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
As I did suggest to you, let us all have go... I'd better have a crack at it myself.

So here's mine... mind you, I think I must have been there on a different misty evening to you.
There's no doubt, you were definitely here but not the same day! Although I don't really like the clouds, I really like the warm mood you brought to the picture, especially with the green tones. the picture looks really good!

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Hi, nice picture!

By the way Capture One reports a 15mm lens.

Since I love Black & White my quick attempt is of that kind. Maybe you like it.
The picture looks great in black and white oh yeah, as I said I got the aperture block failure on my k-70 so I only use manual lenses (temporary RIP my 50mm f1.8 lens). My lens is not automatically detected by my camera so it asks me every time for the focal length, but there are no '14mm' entry, instead I always choose the closest one which is '15mm' that's why.
02-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
There's no doubt, you were definitely here but not the same day!
Well that does explain then why I didn't see you there.

Although I don't really like the clouds, I really like the warm mood you brought to the picture, especially with the green tones. the picture looks really good!
I'm glad you liked my interpretation of your image, but as I said... yours was a good image to work with in the first place.

02-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Landscapes require an aperture small enough to finely focus, but not too small, to avoid diffraction. Normally about f8-f13
HDR is praised by many as a good way to go with landscapes. I never go this way, because it's so easy to go wrong. I've tried different exposure settings, Pixel Shift, bracketing ... I prefer to expose for the mid-tones as it is easy to recover detail from both shadows and highlights. A sturdy tripod, the lowest ISO possible (100-640 is as far as I am willing to go for orthodox landscape work) and most of the times I generally underexpose by 1/2-1 stop, to get the most out of colour detail and saturation, naturally.
Auto - HDR is often not so realistic, so I'd prefer to approach it manually. This is doable in almost any situation if you try to work with masks. Classic burn/dodge is very effective , especially easy (with some practice , of course) in LR , darktable.... Do not overdo it. Shadows should be dark enough. If you don't like the result, study the light of the area and come back when it's most complimentary. I myself shoot in hard sunlight, but I don't aim for the magical , commercial , mainstream looking landscapes, because that's not what represents my place. Hope I've been clear.
Thanks for the information! Well I guess the first step would be to get clean pictures. HDR will come after, I have time I don't need to over rush everything. So next step: clean camera sensor and buy a tripod
02-21-2021, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
buy a tripod
Buy a decent one... and it will be the only one you ever buy.
02-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
HDR is praised by many as a good way to go with landscapes. I never go this way, because it's so easy to go wrong.
I was of the same opinion before I used the HDR function in Lightroom. Works remarkably well.

02-22-2021, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK< I gave you 10 minutes, showing some of the global changes I made although, you can't see the brush adjustments.