Galerie FB G3

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LS9000 FH-869G  Photo 
02-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An intriguing and challenging composition. I definitely get a sense of vertigo looking at it for any length of time.
02-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

My first thoughts was it looks like the innards of a pocket watch!

For me it is an interesting photo but somehow pulls my eyes.
02-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. Since both your comments showed a reaction to something about
or in the image, I looked at it on the screen for some time and also noticed a strange effect from the
perspective. I have a framed printed copy hanging on the wall and hadnīt noticed this before.
I believe it is the orientation.Horizontally it is confusing and eyes and brain are trying to make sense
of it. Vertically it makes sense much faster.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LS9000 FH-869G  Photo 
5 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree - vertical looks better - there must be something that the eye naturally knows what "looks and feels" right.

I would also recommend next time standing right in the center and shooting directly upwards (not at an angle). With symmetric architecture like this you can get pretty amazing shots!
3 Days Ago   #6
Forum Member

Its an interesting photograph, as is; Must look fantastic as your print. I like the angle, gives it something you dont always see, unlike the usual straight ahead shot, ya know. But I prefer it in horizontal orientation....first glance it seemed like a still from 2001. Very nice
3 Days Ago   #7
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
Its an interesting photograph, as is; Must look fantastic as your print. I like the angle, gives it something you dont always see, unlike the usual straight ahead shot, ya know. But I prefer it in horizontal orientation....first glance it seemed like a still from 2001. Very nice
Thank you ! What does a still from 2001 look like ?
3 Days Ago   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
Thank you ! What does a still from 2001 look like ?
Ah, sorry. 2001 the movie. Was my first thought on seeing your photograph. Something about the shapes and open grandeur of it......

3 Days Ago   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
Oh dang that's exactly what I thought the second I saw this: looks very kubrik-esque.

I don't know if its because the composition of the (horizontal) photograph feels like a snapshot mid-pan or just my association with the director, but it has a very cinematic feel which I love. The vertical orientation is certainly less dizzying and (frankly) difficult to look at, but that the horizontal version can even have that effect is very cool.

I think you captured a really interesting perspective here and you should celebrate that.
2 Days Ago   #10
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. It is interesting to read what others see in oneīs pictures.
If I were to look for something Kubrik-esque in that image I would have thought more along
the lines of Barry Lyndon than 2001. I suppose that although I was looking for an abstraction
while composing, it is difficult for me to see it as something else, since I took the picture.
2 Days Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful traditional film and printing work, way better than anything I ever managed.
1 Day Ago   #12
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Beautiful traditional film and printing work, way better than anything I ever managed.
Thank you. I guess you photographed and printed 35 mm ? It is very hard work to learn how to expose, develop
and print 35 mm. I switched to medium format because Iīm lazy. Medium format is a grateful medium that gives
great results that seem effortless, compared with 35 mm.
22 Hours Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

35mm when Adox KB17 was a fast film. In a crazy blacked out bedroom of course. I did temporally have a proper converted bathroom but trying to get 6 kids to synchronise bladders was a lost cause.

Medium format also slows you down in two ways, less number of shots so you consider composition more and secondly the weight of the equipment is a killer, that Pentax you're using and its lenses is not the lightest equipment ever made. The best shot I ever made was on a 620 Kodak Duaflex a long long time ago.

The older I get the more I'm inclined to carry a 50mm lens and hope its the right one.
13 Hours Ago   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree that vertical "makes more sense" but the horizontal one is mind-bending... excellent shot!