Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 08:56 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sunset over the bay.
Lens: Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 Camera: Pentax K-3 II Photo Location: Cabo San Lucas, México ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F11 

Taking advantage of the weather sealed K3 II and taking a chance with the Samyang lens i decided to get close to the water and take the shot as low and close to the rocks with the concerned that a small wave would get my gear wet, anyways i was looking for this low shot because i wanted to capture a good amount of the sky and ground all in one shot, the shutter speed was 15 seconds.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-22-2021, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely beautiful.
02-23-2021, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The use of wide angle surely paid off. I’ll agree with you about the low angle shot, your sky was very giving. That said, I think including a “whole” rock in the foreground, or a focal point, sort of speak, would really elevate the composition.
You have made a choice of a pretty long shutter speed, the water is flowing nicely and there’s a right amount of movement in the clouds, but I would bring the exposure a little down in pp , just to give back this “evening”, sunset feeling that almost gets lost when exposing for so long. A level adjustment would definitely do the trick.
Another option would be an ND filter, of course. But I believe your approach wouldn’t need that.
02-23-2021, 11:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
The use of wide angle surely paid off. I’ll agree with you about the low angle shot, your sky was very giving. That said, I think including a “whole” rock in the foreground, or a focal point, sort of speak, would really elevate the composition.
You have made a choice of a pretty long shutter speed, the water is flowing nicely and there’s a right amount of movement in the clouds, but I would bring the exposure a little down in pp , just to give back this “evening”, sunset feeling that almost gets lost when exposing for so long. A level adjustment would definitely do the trick.
Another option would be an ND filter, of course. But I believe your approach wouldn’t need that.
Yeah, i like the final image but i know it could have been better. The ND filter was not an option as for this lens there is no adapter so i would have to make an adaptor for the ND filters, thank you for your tips.

02-27-2021, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh my gosh, this is gorgeous! I'd print it and hang it on the wall for sure.
03-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Oh my gosh, this is gorgeous! I'd print it and hang it on the wall for sure.
Thank you, i´m actually going through my pics and picking the ones i like for large print.
04-21-2021, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well seen, well framed, well taken. Splitting the image into two almost identical halves top and bottom works really well here. Who needs a rule of thirds, eh? This image could really pop on a metal print.

04-21-2021, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This deserves to be printed big. Give a metal print a try and see if you'd like to go big.
04-21-2021, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by JulioM75 Quote
Taking advantage of the weather sealed K3 II and taking a chance with the Samyang lens i decided to get close to the water and take the shot as low and close to the rocks with the concerned that a small wave would get my gear wet, anyways i was looking for this low shot because i wanted to capture a good amount of the sky and ground all in one shot, the shutter speed was 15 seconds.
Nice example of what can be done with ultra- wide
04-22-2021, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #10

Beautifully executed ultra wide shot. Crisp and perfect!
04-22-2021, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

This is wonderful! Wish I had a critique for it but there's really nothing else that could be done here.
04-22-2021, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #12

I love this shot. If you did any post processing, good job there as well.
04-23-2021, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nicely executed shot, beautiful colors.

It could benefit from some kind of focal point or more leading lines into the frame, but that's nitpicking really. It's still very enjoyable to look at.
04-23-2021, 10:02 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments, i really appreciate the tips. This is definitely one of the pics i want to do a large print.
04-27-2021, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gorgeous shot! I find the perfect centering of it makes me uneasy but I don’t know what you would crop - maybe crop some of the sky and the left side...