Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 03:36 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Color and Black and White
Lens: K-3 Camera: DA*16-50mm f/2.8 Photo Location: Florianópolis, Brazil 

I'm still learning to process my K-3 images. I find the sensor data is a bit different in the way it reacts to processing, at least from what I'm used to with the other Pentax cameras I have or have had (K-S1, K-50, K-r, K20D, K200D and K10D). So I'm leaving PaintShopPro and DarkTable aside and using only RawTherapee until I learn to process these files well.

In this exercise, I tried to get the best color image and the best black and white image out of this scene... the processing isn't that different, but the color image is a bit brighter with less contrast, to make the image a bit more pleasing to the eye as a whole, and the black and white is a bit darker with some contrast boost for a bit more of a dramatic effect in the waves.

Any preferences between these two? Any tips on what I could have done differently? Input is appreciated

03-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Forum Member

I really like that you didnt go overboard with your contrast boost in the black and white version, there are still plenty of details in the hills. The colour doesnt have the same degree of depth for some reason, not sure why. The black and white pops nicely. Great image.
03-05-2021, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
I really like that you didnt go overboard with your contrast boost in the black and white version, there are still plenty of details in the hills. The colour doesnt have the same degree of depth for some reason, not sure why. The black and white pops nicely. Great image.
Thank you for your kind comments

You and I agree, it seems, on the purpose of black and white. I'm not a fan of the super-contrasty squash-all-fine-detail that is prevalent nowadays. I think it's a fad that's going to pass. Same with the all-is-midtones, no-black-no-white some others do, which is the other extreme...
I have however increased a bit of contrast and lowered the exposure a little bit. I think it did wonders for the waves especially, without losing a lot of details in the mountains as you said.
When I tried to do the same for the color version, it just didn't look right... it lost the natural colors and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks that a color picture especially, should look like reality, and not an artist's rendering.
So while I'm happy with the color version in that sense - it's like I saw the scene - I guess the B&W does steal the show here.
03-10-2021, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the color version. Some of the details, such as the house roof, gets lost in the BW.

5 Days Ago   #5
Forum Member

I like the colour - I am all for reserved processing but here a little more contrast and punch wouldn't hurt.
1 Day Ago   #6

Normally I like B&W but in this one I would go color. The B&W version in my opinion has an old snapshot look vs using the contrast that makes B&W pop.