Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

My online business cards - feedback appreciated!

I'm starting to put myself out there, trying to take this fun hobby to the next level. I've come up with a couple online business cards that I'll post on craigslist and other sources.

Since this is technically an ad, I masked out my telephone number... don't want to break any forum rules.

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback... thanks for your time!

[edit} Please note... second and third drafts have been posted below...

Last edited by hamidlmt; 11-24-2008 at 11:50 PM.
11-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the the second just fine. In my opinion, the first needs either the girls full right eye, or maybe move here more off the page so we don't see her right eye. It looks like a nice shot of her, but just seeing the corner of her eye bothers me (but that's just me - I see on your site that you like that crop / composition, so good on ya).

Long term for your buisness, I might recommend you get a custom domain name for your pro smugmug account. It only costs about $10/year for the domain name registration (using godaddy.com - maybe "hsbphotography.com" or something like that) and is pretty easy to integrate with smugmug (and you can ask me how if you get stuck). Then do a little customization of your Smugmug account (see my sig - "my photos" link to see what I've done - hasn't helped me sell any prints yet but it gave me something entertaining to do at work (while waiting for a fire)) I think it would look nice to have your site look like your site, and not just another smugmug acct.

I've been meaning to design some business cards too, so thanks for the reminder.
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I like the the second just fine. In my opinion, the first needs either the girls full right eye, or maybe move here more off the page so we don't see her right eye. It looks like a nice shot of her, but just seeing the corner of her eye bothers me (but that's just me - I see on your site that you like that crop / composition, so good on ya).

Long term for your buisness, I might recommend you get a custom domain name for your pro smugmug account. It only costs about $10/year for the domain name registration (using godaddy.com - maybe "hsbphotography.com" or something like that) and is pretty easy to integrate with smugmug (and you can ask me how if you get stuck). Then do a little customization of your Smugmug account (see my sig - "my photos" link to see what I've done - hasn't helped me sell any prints yet but it gave me something entertaining to do at work (while waiting for a fire)) I think it would look nice to have your site look like your site, and not just another smugmug acct.

I've been meaning to design some business cards too, so thanks for the reminder.
You have some great points here.

I know I should get a custom domain too... one project at a time! LOL!
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Round 2

Taking some much needed advice, here's the second draft....

11-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They are very well done. The lady shot is good as it suggests what you do.

The dog one is good but it is more appropriate if you do pet protrait too
11-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
They are very well done. The lady shot is good as it suggests what you do.

The dog one is good but it is more appropriate if you do pet protrait too
Thanks. I have 2 different versions, since I want to market both my people portraits and dog portraits (which I do a ton of!)
11-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The second lady shot is nice.

Not too crazy about the way the dog is tilting its head out of the frame. Perhaps you can switch the dog to the right side? Or if you rather have it on the left, try flipping horizontally and see what happens. I would brighten up its left eye a tad.

11-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hamid, I would heartily recommend you do as Josh says - get the custom domain setup. It's very little hassle, and you're good to go. Either he or I would be more than willing to help out if you need any direction. My SmugMug Pro Account uses a custom domain name too.

I really like the revised cards - excellent!!!
11-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hamid, I would heartily recommend you do as Josh says - get the custom domain setup. It's very little hassle, and you're good to go. Either he or I would be more than willing to help out if you need any direction. My SmugMug Pro Account uses a custom domain name too.

I really like the revised cards - excellent!!!
You're right of course, Marc. I'll start looking into it. I do have a Pro account too.

Really appreciate your offer to help! If I get stuck, I'll take you on on that!
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
The same that Heliphoto said about the eye...

The second is so sweet! that's great IMO for a business card
11-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done Hamid.
I would have liked a little more of the woman in view, but is still effective as is.
The dog has a lot of character and makes the card have great impact.
Great work.
11-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All righty... really appreciate everyone's suggestions! I registered a domain new this evening. Here's round 3 of rough drafts....

11-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work Hamid. All it took was a little pressure from us . Good domain name too (always the hard part I think). Dgrin has a huge amount of info about customizing smugmug (referenced from smugmug's help pages).
11-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Nice work Hamid. All it took was a little pressure from us . Good domain name too (always the hard part I think). Dgrin has a huge amount of info about customizing smugmug (referenced from smugmug's help pages).
Yes, sometimes it just takes a kick in the rear to get me jump started. I'll check out Dgrin's site... looks like some great info! Thank!
11-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I just made the first very rudimentary changes to the website, adding a slide show and my own header. It needs a good bit of work, like graphical headers, etc, but it's starting to look a little less like a typical smugmug site... And, that's all the time I have to work on it today.

Photography by Hamid Shibata Bennett - Portland, Oregon- powered by SmugMug