Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #16

I'd say those pics are pretty sharp for taking them hand-held. SR can really only take you so far, typically.. andy long distance widlife shots would require a tripod Here's my quickfix of your 2 photos using lightroom:

11-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

you got a smudge on your sensor, left hand side just a bit above the centerline

also what are those little white squirly things also along the median?
11-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by qdoan Quote
I'd say those pics are pretty sharp for taking them hand-held. SR can really only take you so far, typically.. andy long distance widlife shots would require a tripod Here's my quickfix of your 2 photos using lightroom:

I'd say the noise reduction is a bit heavy handed. It has lost some detail and tonal gradations.
An advantage of photoshop is that you can apply these filters more selectively (such as only on the background) with a wide range of layers options. There are special internet based discounts available for most kinds of software.
11-25-2008, 03:12 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I have been out again today with my newly acquired knowledge. A long way to go but they are improving. Isaac your changes have created what we Aussies call a " Beauty Mate" Any more ideas are appreciated. cheers Jaab

11-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last pic is better but you're still not getting all the DA300/4 has to offer. To really pull detail out of the bird's feathers I have to use a tripod, bigger birds may be a bit easier but I have never come close handhoding my 300/4 to using it on a tripod, period. Maybe some people can but I can't. I'm still learning the best techniques to shoot telephotos myself. As others have said shutter speed is very important. I used to hate shooting anything other than iso 100, but longer lenses have changed that, I'll go to ISO400 in a heartbeat to gain shutter speed but you have to be very careful about underexposed shots because to lighten a high ISO shot in PP will greatly increase noise. Focus is critical, everything is critical, it has to all come together, it's hard but kinda like golf. You can hit 80 crappy shots but the one good one you get feels so good!
Practice practice practice
12-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #21

Original Poster
Hi
Hows this on tripod and cropped a bit
cheers Jaab
12-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

How you do a 60 second workflow?
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
X-man has it right. You need a tripod for that kind of shot. 1/250s at 300mm is pushing the limits, unless you have steadier hands than me. Not sure why it underexposed, but it did.

Did you do any post-processing? You will need to. It might help a lot. All digital images can benefit from PP and learning Photoshop or your tool of choice is as important as learning your camera, IMO.

Here's an insanely quick fix which is nowhere near as good as it would be if I had the original RAW file to work with -- noise and other artifacts are noticeable. Also changed the crop -- too bad the tail feathers are not complete. Took me about 60 seconds with my automated workflow.

12-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Write your own actions in PS, I do, makes life a LOT easier, then retouch from there as needed.