Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gibbon Village Hall
Lens: SMC A 50/1.2 Camera: K-3ii Photo Location: Gibbon, MN ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F8 

One building that I like to photograph but still haven't managed to get a great shot of is the Gibbon Village Hall in Gibbon, MN. This is a stitched panorama of it and while I don't think the framing is bad I still don't think it is great. I can go across the street to the left to get less of a full front view but I'm not sure that would be better either.

05-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
cool building. I would clean up the halo and the geometric distortion - it’s very distracting
05-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Same here, a little more chiaroscuro would do it for me.
05-05-2021, 01:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by just_life_photograph Quote
cool building. I would clean up the halo and the geometric distortion - it’s very distracting
Agree, the halo is distraction and the barrel is not helping. There are lots of details and the pano seems to have stiched very nicely. A wider angle with more sky during the golden hour would have been perfect. Thanks for sharing

05-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by just_life_photograph Quote
I would clean up the halo
From what I can tell that may be a stitching artefact and is something that I agree I would like to eliminate. I may have screwed up in the initial development and cause it.

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
a little more chiaroscuro would do it for me
That was a phrase I was unfamiliar with but yes after finding out what it is I agree. This was a shot taken near mid day so the light does suck, but that was the time I was there. I had brought the kid there as part of his Citizenship in the Nation merit badge where he had to visit a location on the national historic register of places and learn about the location. This is one that my family has ties to as my great grandfather designed and my family has been active in the restoration project over the last 30 years as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
and the barrel is not helping
While there is some the shape of the building seems to accentuate it since near the top on the front it tapers in and the left side is at a very oblique angle. That may be what bothers me the most.

and the pano seems to have stiched very nicely
When it comes to shooting panoramas I try to shoot lots of shots with lots of overlap. I also will shoot a set in landscape and a set in portrait orientations which also seem to help eliminate stitching artefacts as there are all sorts of control points across many shots to align up.
05-05-2021, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
One building that I like to photograph but still haven't managed to get a great shot of is the Gibbon Village Hall in Gibbon, MN. This is a stitched panorama of it and while I don't think the framing is bad I still don't think it is great. I can go across the street to the left to get less of a full front view but I'm not sure that would be better either.
An unusual building for sure - how did it come to be. I agree that the halo is distracting, and perhaps also what looks like a water tower peeking from behind, or is that part of the structure.
05-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

When it comes to shooting panoramas I try to shoot lots of shots with lots of overlap. I also will shoot a set in landscape and a set in portrait orientations which also seem to help eliminate stitching artefacts as there are all sorts of control points across many shots to align up
That's a neat trick to overlap the portrait seams with landscapes - Thanks. I usually use one landscape shot that Mid-bottom and mid-top of a single-row portrait sweep to fix the gap in the stitch, but you are right in a tricky pano where there may not be (m)any straight lines, having a few more landscape frames wouldn't hurt, albeit taking a bit more time.

I usually overlap frames around 15 to 20% depending on which lens I'm using. IMHO zoom and wider FOV lens warrent more overlap (mainly to do distortions) . With an smc 50 Macro or smc 43mm or CZ 100mm I can sometimes get away with just 10% overlap. I just apply lens corrections before stitching. OTOH when light is chaging fast and I'm forced to use my Voigt 20mm CS then overlap goes up to 25-35% .

Looking forward to more panos from you - All the best.

05-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saley Quote
An unusual building for sure - how did it come to be.
My great grandfather was a builder and designer and was very active in south west Minnesota in the late 1800s. He had built and/or designed a number of churches, bridges, and government buildings in the area. As such he had a developed a reputation in the area and did get sought out if an impressive building was wanted. Why he chose a Neo-Romanesque Revival style Norman keep looking building for this location is beyond me but it is an interesting building.

QuoteOriginally posted by saley Quote
also what looks like a water tower peeking from behind, or is that part of the structure.
There is a water tower behind the tower on the building. From almost any other angle the water tower becomes very apparent as it is the shiny silver colored metal cylinder on legs that is common in small rural towns. The only view where it isn't apparent is if you are behind the building but it is a mess back there.

That's a neat trick to overlap the portrait seams with landscapes - Thanks. I usually use one landscape shot that Mid-bottom and mid-top of a single-row portrait sweep to fix the gap in the stitch, but you are right in a tricky pano where there may not be (m)any straight lines, having a few more landscape frames wouldn't hurt, albeit taking a bit more time.

I usually overlap frames around 15 to 20% depending on which lens I'm using. IMHO zoom and wider FOV lens warrent more overlap (mainly to do distortions) . With an smc 50 Macro or smc 43mm or CZ 100mm I can sometimes get away with just 10% overlap. I just apply lens corrections before stitching. OTOH when light is chaging fast and I'm forced to use my Voigt 20mm CS then overlap goes up to 25-35% .

Looking forward to more panos from you - All the best.
My thought with shooting panos is that most of the time I put into them is in getting out to the location, setting up, and getting the settings right. The actual capture of the individual shots is a tiny fraction of the effort so maximizing the chances of success only adds a marginal amount of effort for the outing. As such I usually go for a large overlap approaching 50% from one frame to the next. Also by shooting the scene in portrait and landscape it provides more info for the stitcher to correct for the distortion. So while this image is something like 3 landscape frames wide and 4 landscape frames high I probably shot a total of between 40 and 50 shots with more on the edges that has been cropped out.

The pano I like most is this one also shot with the the SMC A 50/1.2 although I do like this one too which I did as a stitched stacked super resolution image and not I didn't do a HDR treatment on it as it was a very hazy cold night.
05-07-2021, 03:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My thought with shooting panos is that most of the time I put into them is in getting out to the location, setting up, and getting the settings right. The actual capture of the individual shots is a tiny fraction of the effort so maximizing the chances of success only adds a marginal amount of effort for the outing. As such I usually go for a large overlap approaching 50% from one frame to the next. Also by shooting the scene in portrait and landscape it provides more info for the stitcher to correct for the distortion. So while this image is something like 3 landscape frames wide and 4 landscape frames high I probably shot a total of between 40 and 50 shots with more on the edges that has been cropped out.
Agree, setting up and prepping for the pano takes most of the time, hence more overlap is always better; OTOH, if the light is changing (Golden hour for ex) then, I usually choose the minimum overlap that I can get away with. The slow write speed of the K1 doesnt help too much either, esp when the pixel-shift is on :-( ... All the best and looking forward to more panos from you
05-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OTOH, if the light is changing (Golden hour for ex) then, I usually choose the minimum overlap that I can get away with.
In a situation like that I would likely just grab a wide to ultrawide lens and blast away. If I found I needed more resolution after cropping I can stack the pile of shots and do a super resolution image and crop from that.
05-11-2021, 05:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this image. You have got some great feedback. Some very good pointers to improve my game too. Hope you will persist with this building and love to see your next efforts.
07-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a shot from more of a diagonal view would be better and maybe a bit closer. Maybe cropping the side a bit would also help I do also notice the halo around the the building that bothers me a bit
07-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The line of FD doors adds nothing for me, so I would make it a vertical shot without them and fix the general tilt by using the poles/right side as reference.
07-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Моссироки Quote
За башней на здании стоит водонапорная башня. Почти с любого другого ракурса водонапорная башня становится очень заметной, так как это блестящий серебристый металлический цилиндр на ножках, который часто встречается в маленьких сельских городках. Единственный вид, где это не видно, - это если вы находитесь за зданием, но там сзади полный беспорядок.
If something can't be disguised, make it the main character. I looked at Google panoramas and found a better angle.