Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2021, 05:36 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughts, y'all! It's interesting that the consensus here is that there is no consensus. I'm still on the fence about it, myself, but it's good to hear that it's not a unanimous verdict that the flare ruins the shot.

Some backstory about this composition... I see what some of you have said about the trees in the foreground, and trying to move a bit to be able to minimize / remove them from the shot. I kinda liked the way they were catching the light, though (the rock on the left, too). And the bigger problem was that I was already precariously perched in the once spot that I could find firm footing for the tripod amidst the tangle of fallen trees that covered the hillside. Sometimes you have to play the hand you're dealt. I'll try doing a crop of the right 3rd and see how it comes out, but I think the foreground trees will still be problematic.

Any thoughts on how to reduce the flare in future efforts?

05-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

The trees are a big distraction in the middle of the scene to me. I like the warmth though.
05-11-2021, 05:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raderstudios Quote
At first I was a bit disappointed, but I think I like the flare. Thoughts? Any and all comments welcome!
Flare and some ghosting too. Great in personal album but not likely a saleable image to my way of thinking. Try finding shadow from nearby tree to this scene for similar view point. Have had similar and have had success though view point might not be quite what you want.
06-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The flares are a distraction, IMO, stopping down might have made them less blobby, as well as made the foreground obstructions in focus and less distracting. I have to agree that moving for a better view of the sun rays and ridgeline would have made a better picture, but I also know that sometimes the trees along the roadway limit options.

The Blue Ridge offers so many great views, I go as often as I can.

06-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #20

Beautiful shot. I love the color on it and how realistic it is. I also love that you included the different layers of the mountains. It adds so much depth to the shot. Great job. I do agree that the sun flares are a bit distracting for me. Honestly the trees in the foreground are a little distracting for me as well. I believe someone else mentioned it but one of the tops of the trees is breaking above the horizon, which is also a little distracting. Honestly I think I would have loved it more if there were no trees in the foreground, just the mountains. Or if you had a little more interesting foreground that would be great as well. Overall great shot and great edits.
07-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raderstudios Quote
At first I was a bit disappointed, but I think I like the flare. Thoughts? Any and all comments welcome!
I honestly like the look of the photo. I feel like the flare gives it a more ethereal vibe!
11-23-2021, 10:30 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sun flares seem more acceptable in video, where they move to mirror panning movement. I've rarely seen a still photo where flare helps, though. Try Adobe's new masking tools- I wouldn't be surprised if you could remove this.

11-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's amazing how long this photo has been discussed.