Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2021, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Colour or B/W ?
Lens: Carlzeiss Makro Planar 100mm F2 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Home ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F4 

Which one do you prefer and why ? I'm a bit on the fence. OTOH, if happy to receive comments/critique on both. Thank you

05-22-2021, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice composition. In this case I think the color image offsets the pen more and gives it a tad more intensity
In the B&W version the pen doesn’t stand out that much
05-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Still Life? Where is the life I'd say product photography and I like the color.
05-23-2021, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #4

I would have to agree the colour version has more impact. Nice photo either way!

05-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nicely done. I think the color works better.
05-24-2021, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be the contrarian and vote B&W. I don't find that the color adds anything, and I really like the look of the shiny plastic and metal in mono.
05-25-2021, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll vote b&w also -- the pen really pops in b&w and gets a little muddled in the color version. Great shot here and the ones in the Zeiss thread also!

05-26-2021, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Color, but then I am a bit into fountain pens and in mono this Waterman looks a bit like cheap version with steel nib, not plated one. Mono looks "cheaper", while color adds a touch of glamour to the pen.
05-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I like both , what makes the difference to me is the warmth the color adds. Possibly toning would make the B/W special to me.

Hang up and DRIVE!
06-01-2021, 12:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
Nice composition. In this case I think the color image offsets the pen more and gives it a tad more intensity
In the B&W version the pen doesn’t stand out that much
QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
I would have to agree the colour version has more impact. Nice photo either way!
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Nicely done. I think the color works better.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
I like both , what makes the difference to me is the warmth the color adds. Possibly toning would make the B/W special to me.

Thanks Peter, Kendra59 , MikeMcE and caliscouser; The red indeed creates a nice colourful backdrop on which the pen stands out.

MikeMcE - Need your help to understand, and if possible some tips on the tonality - you might be onto something here - thanks in advance.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Still Life? Where is the life I'd say product photography and I like the color.
You are right; that was a mistake; unless it is taken metaphorically

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
I'll be the contrarian and vote B&W. I don't find that the color adds anything, and I really like the look of the shiny plastic and metal in mono.
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
I'll vote b&w also -- the pen really pops in b&w and gets a little muddled in the color version. Great shot here and the ones in the Zeiss thread also!
Thank you both - you are right, the pen seems to be popping up in the B/W. It is interesting that some of us go with colour, and others the B/W. I thought I was the only one on the fence

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Color, but then I am a bit into fountain pens and in mono this Waterman looks a bit like cheap version with steel nib, not plated one. Mono looks "cheaper", while color adds a touch of glamour to the pen.
Yes, it is the Waterman Exception with a Rhodium coated 18k Gold nib. I suppose only fountain pen afficionados will notice that
06-01-2021, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll also go with the BW choice. The color version is also nice, especially the cyan/red contrast that boosts the shiny tip of the pen, but I'd say that the red itself, in addition to the upper-left corner of that bottle, is quite distracting. On the other hand, the BW is more forgiving , given the successful composition with the axis of the pen going to the upper right. There's enough detail and nice focus. The pen is beautiful.
06-03-2021, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd go with the BW one, but I'd change a bit the red channel to lighten the box's interior - I think that would make the pen itself stand out a bit more.
As others have said already, the composition is great.
06-04-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Which one do you prefer and why ? I'm a bit on the fence. OTOH, if happy to receive comments/critique on both. Thank you

In a color image, red has an unpleasant dirty tint. If you adjust the color of the bottle cap closer to the color of the bottle itself, it will look better.
But both photos are damaged by dust. Such photographs must be flawless in terms of cleanliness.
Black and white images always look good. But in your case, the highlights are too contrasting. There are no gradients in them.
06-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
In a color image, red has an unpleasant dirty tint. If you adjust the color of the bottle cap closer to the color of the bottle itself, it will look better.
But both photos are damaged by dust. Such photographs must be flawless in terms of cleanliness.
Black and white images always look good. But in your case, the highlights are too contrasting. There are no gradients in them.
That is indeed a fair and honest critique - Thank you and you are right. Dust especially is a major distraction and despite my best effort, some did creep in.