Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2021, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Macro first steps
Lens: Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Roslin Glen, Scotland ISO: 200 

Hello from an unseasonably warm Scotland.

Took the opportunity to take a recently-acquired yet ageing Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro (my first Macro lens) for a walk on my K70. I wanted to see how it performed as a macro and came away with these below.

Outdoors, tripod, remote shutter release
Bud 1/80 f5.6 iso 200.
Bloom 1/200 f8 iso 200

CC much appreciated. Especially comments on 'sharpness' and Bokeh.
Thanks in advance.

Ian

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by Scotianphotos; 06-01-2021 at 04:27 PM.
06-17-2021, 04:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

the second seems to me better, brighter and better enhances the colors and detail.
06-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for this. Beginning to explore outdoor macro while travel restrictions still apply.
06-18-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First one, I have nothing to add. It's really beautiful. At most, maybe bring the camera down a bit and point it just a smidge further up to have a bit of sky at the top of the frame? Might give a bit more context...
For the second, at least on my screen it looks like the focus is on the right-hand side bulb that is a bit behind the others; I would have personally preferred the focus to be on the left bulbs since they "pop out" more from the background and I feel it would make the image stand out more. Pulling the focus plane closer might have made the foreground leaf on the right also look a bit less busy (which is truly the only nitpick I have lens-wise - the first shot's bokeh is creamy all over).

Don't worry too much about sharpness - macro has very thin DoF as you have probably noticed while focusing, so nailing it is complicated the moment there's a breeze of wind, and you've done a great work. Very nice detail on the focal plane
Keep at it!

Last edited by Serkevan; 06-18-2021 at 06:04 AM.
06-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful subject, well exposed and just one suggestion: what makes these plants look interesting is the pubescence
along stem, leaves and flower buds. You got them lit correctly, but in order for the hairs to be visible, you have to shift
your position so they stand out against a dark background. Against a light background they become invisible.
06-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all this feedback. It really does help in considering changes in mindset/workflow needed in a new, and so far fascinating, genre. One of the most telling so far is an increased awareness of wind, and its
effects ... not least on my language when waiting for windstill! As they say, every day's a schooldays, and patience is a virtue?

Thanks again folks, much appreciated.