Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2021, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Stormy Mountain
Lens: FA* 80-200 F2.8 Camera: Pentax K1 mk II Photo Location: Wasatch National Forest ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F16 

Beautiful day in the mountain. Just happened to be there as the sun was trying to poke it's way though the snow clouds.

Attached Images

06-20-2021, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful! I really like the muted tones in this one.
06-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stunning! I think I might crop a bit from the left hand side though - there seems to be a bit of imbalance with the "negative space" in this image for me (if that makes sense)
06-20-2021, 11:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Beautiful mood.
There is some potential to play around with crops so the bright clouds are less central (from the left and the top+bottom to keep the aspect ratio), but with the treeline leading to the corner it is also nice the way it is

06-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #5
5ks
Pentaxian

Such a storm must be a lot more pleasing (to a photographer) from a distance ... impressive shot!
06-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Really nice. I would also crop about 4 trees off the left and a bit off the top for balance.
06-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Pretty good, powerful scenery.

06-21-2021, 11:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Pretty good, powerful scenery.
Indeed, beautifulcolours as well. A wee bit lift in the shadows would probably bring out thetexture in the trees adding oodles of character (IMHO of course)
06-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nicely captured intriguing photo. After reading other's comments, and looking again (a few times) I tend to agree with the idea of cropping a bit from the left and top and trying to bring out the details in the trees a bit more. Overall a really good photo. Thank you for sharing.
06-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Beautiful! I really like the muted tones in this one.
Thank you so much. I appreciate the compliment.

---------- Post added 06-22-21 at 07:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Such a storm must be a lot more pleasing (to a photographer) from a distance ... impressive shot!
I agree completely. I had actually chosen to take a ride up the canyons do just do some snow shoeing. As I was coming back down the canyon I looked out my window and just had to stop to take it.
06-22-2021, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
Stunning! I think I might crop a bit from the left hand side though - there seems to be a bit of imbalance with the "negative space" in this image for me (if that makes sense)
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Beautiful mood.
There is some potential to play around with crops so the bright clouds are less central (from the left and the top+bottom to keep the aspect ratio), but with the treeline leading to the corner it is also nice the way it is
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Really nice. I would also crop about 4 trees off the left and a bit off the top for balance.
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
A very nicely captured intriguing photo. After reading other's comments, and looking again (a few times) I tend to agree with the idea of cropping a bit from the left and top and trying to bring out the details in the trees a bit more. Overall a really good photo. Thank you for sharing.
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Indeed, beautifulcolours as well. A wee bit lift in the shadows would probably bring out thetexture in the trees adding oodles of character (IMHO of course)
Thank you all for the suggestion of cropping the photo and lightening the shadows, I was really torn about whether I wanted to crop it but after doing it the crop and lightening of the shadows is a great suggestion. What do you all think?
Attached Images

06-22-2021, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Started really good, got better :-)
06-23-2021, 12:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Started really good, got better :-)
Couldnt agree more. This mod looks ready for print !
06-23-2021, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by josephwamsley Quote
Thank you all for the suggestion of cropping the photo and lightening the shadows, I was really torn about whether I wanted to crop it but after doing it the crop and lightening of the shadows is a great suggestion. What do you all think?
Awesome! The crop really helped with the "balance" in this image. You didn't lose too much of the area at the top where the mountain fades into the mist to reduce the impact of that affect. Your adjustment to the shadows is subtle and very good.
06-23-2021, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by josephwamsley Quote
I do like that new crop. A very attractive wall hanger.