Pentax 67II 45 mm
HP5 @ ASA 250 in Pyro PMK
Galerie FB G3 Selenium-toned

Attached Images

06-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the composition of the church, but personally do not like the distracting tree branches.
06-23-2021, 01:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The tree branches are part of the location and can't be avoided (as far as I can tell from the picture), therefore, while obscuring the church a little, I don't mind them actually.
The grey tones look good (as always ) and the composition per se is also good, but the whole church (and the big building on the right side) is leaning too much to the left side in my opinion.
I realize you aligned the roof in the bottom of the image, but it is too unremarkable in the overall context to deserve that kind of attention in my opinion.
06-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
The tree branches are part of the location and can't be avoided (as far as I can tell from the picture), therefore, while obscuring the church a little, I don't mind them actually.
The grey tones look good (as always ) and the composition per se is also good, but the whole church (and the big building on the right side) is leaning too much to the left side in my opinion.
I realize you aligned the roof in the bottom of the image, but it is too unremarkable in the overall context to deserve that kind of attention in my opinion.
Taking another look, I can see your reasoning and can agree. Maybe a different angle of approach, ie taking the photo from a point to the right of the original position, would have removed the large building and blocked more of the building behind the church, plus given the church a more vertical position. Unfortunately, Mother Nature does things in her own way and time.

06-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. There are occasions when I take photos and I donīt rationalize
what I see. I donīt think of rules of composition, or how one element of the image relates to te
rest. I look at the scene and see the image that Iīm going to print. Those are the photos that
mean the most to me. They donīt have the look of well-done homework, overthought and polished.
They are the emotional equivalent of that moment. This is one of those images.
06-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The tree branches and leaves tend to obscure the other buildings, leaving the church a little better isolated than at first blush. I'm pleased you made the image you wanted!
06-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Питер Рокстро Quote
Бывают случаи, когда я фотографирую и не рационализирую
то, что вижу. Я не думаю о правилах композиции или о том, как один элемент изображения соотносится с
остальными. Я смотрю на сцену и вижу изображение, которое собираюсь напечатать. Эти фотографии
значат для меня больше всего. У них нет вида хорошо сделанной домашней работы, продуманной и отшлифованной.
Они являются эмоциональным эквивалентом этого момента. Это один из таких образов.
In such cases, observation is important. And then next time you will automatically take a few steps to the side and the composition will be better. As far as this photo is concerned, I lack contrast. The lower part does not carry an emotional component and can be cut off. And, of course, a very strong filling of the building. We are small, the buildings are big. A distorted perspective is inevitable. But the choice of angle can smooth it out a little.

11-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The tree branches make the shot! The serve as framing and screening devices, and add tension. You positioned them perfectly, so that the church is clearly visible. Nice work!
11-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #9

Nice photo of one of my favorite places in NYC
12-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This works great in B&W
12-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing, nice picture!
I'm not disturbed by the branches, but I would like to crop the horizon roof at the very bottom
12-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #12
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Thanks for sharing, nice picture!
I'm not disturbed by the branches, but I would like to crop the horizon roof at the very bottom
Thanks. I thought about it but when tried it, it looked stunted.
It looked like a German Shepard with the legs of a Dachshound