Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2021, 12:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
Any easy to read/understand links to photos stacking?
Beginner's Guide to Focus Stacking for Macro Photography | PetaPixel

Hope this help and looking forward to seeing more pics from you !

06-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #17
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a bit of post processing you can get more out of your images.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-24-2021, 07:06 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Beginner's Guide to Focus Stacking for Macro Photography | PetaPixel

Hope this help and looking forward to seeing more pics from you !

Thank you so much for this.

---------- Post added 06-24-21 at 07:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
With a bit of post processing you can get more out of your images.
Editing is what I’m also looking for advice on. I’m new to LR and am still trying to figure it out; only know the basic of basics. It has been mentioned to crop this and having quickly tried it on the jpg, I do like it cropped a bit.

I will be editing the RAW file (a copy; I save the originals on a different hard drive). I am not a fan of over processing and over saturation. I can easily clean up the hair that’s on one petal in PS as I have years experience with PS.

I simply do not know where to start in the editing as I feel like this capture is going to require more than just the very basic editing. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks for you time and effort.
06-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't weigh in on advice for improving the photo, I will just say that it is a good result from a lot of effort. I like the results and wish you well in future photographic endeavors.

06-25-2021, 12:35 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Thank you so much for this.

---------- Post added 06-24-21 at 07:21 PM ----------

Editing is what I’m also looking for advice on. I’m new to LR and am still trying to figure it out; only know the basic of basics. It has been mentioned to crop this and having quickly tried it on the jpg, I do like it cropped a bit.

I will be editing the RAW file (a copy; I save the originals on a different hard drive). I am not a fan of over processing and over saturation. I can easily clean up the hair that’s on one petal in PS as I have years experience with PS.

I simply do not know where to start in the editing as I feel like this capture is going to require more than just the very basic editing. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks for you time and effort.
Another option to try, is the "Darktable" - a free and opensource software that is extremely powerful and flexible. There are plenty of videos on the net, that might get you to started. Works on practically all operating systems.
06-25-2021, 04:49 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I won't weigh in on advice for improving the photo, I will just say that it is a good result from a lot of effort. I like the results and wish you well in future photographic endeavors.
Thank you so much. I value anyone’s comments for improving as it’s the only way for me to understand and learn. As an abstract artist, I learned decades ago that sometimes the most helpful constructive criticism can come from anyone at any time. It’s why I value it so much.

---------- Post added 06-25-21 at 04:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Another option to try, is the "Darktable" - a free and opensource software that is extremely powerful and flexible. There are plenty of videos on the net, that might get you to started. Works on practically all operating systems.
I’ll check this program out, and hopefully it’s MAC compatible as I do not have a PC in our house since my son moved out.

Thank you
06-25-2021, 05:19 AM   #22
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used many different programs over the years. At the moment I am using the Gimp + Dartable for editing my images. As long as both are installed, if you try opning a RAW file with Gimp, it will first run it trough Darktable. I usually just edit the histogram to correct the exposure. Once you close Darktable, the image is handed over to the Gimp.

My basic process for every image is: deciding if the image has potential, cropping, adjusting the levels, adjusting saturation, a bit of sharpening. After saving the full size edited image in a compress format (jpeg or png), I make a second, reduced size, version for sharing on the web. Any RAW file that I decided not to fully process is deleted, no looking back. That's it. ;-)

06-25-2021, 08:08 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Филлис Quote
Я просто не знаю, с чего начать редактирование
Start by looking. And feel what you want to change. With the acquisition of skills, you will do it quickly and in different ways. And no matter what software. What you see is important. Train critical gaze. And stop in time).
Stacking can be done both in Lightroom and in Photoshop without overloading the computer with third-party programs.
06-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
I have used many different programs over the years. At the moment I am using the Gimp + Dartable for editing my images. As long as both are installed, if you try opning a RAW file with Gimp, it will first run it trough Darktable. I usually just edit the histogram to correct the exposure. Once you close Darktable, the image is handed over to the Gimp.

My basic process for every image is: deciding if the image has potential, cropping, adjusting the levels, adjusting saturation, a bit of sharpening. After saving the full size edited image in a compress format (jpeg or png), I make a second, reduced size, version for sharing on the web. Any RAW file that I decided not to fully process is deleted, no looking back. That's it. ;-)
Thanks so much for this info.

---------- Post added 06-25-21 at 09:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
Start by looking. And feel what you want to change. With the acquisition of skills, you will do it quickly and in different ways. And no matter what software. What you see is important. Train critical gaze. And stop in time).
Stacking can be done both in Lightroom and in Photoshop without overloading the computer with third-party programs.
I thank you for this advice.
06-25-2021, 11:19 PM   #25
Pentaxian

’ll check this program out, and hopefully it’s MAC compatible as I do not have a PC in our house since my son moved out.
It is compatible have a look here install | darktable . I use it on Linux BTW. All the best
06-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #26

Original Poster
After reading everyone's comments and digesting, I have cleaned up the image and edited it to an 18x12 crop that I am pleased with and am sharing the web version with you all. Thanks so much for all of the advice and info.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my opinion, it got better. What is your feeling after all the changes?
06-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
In my opinion, it got better. What is your feeling after all the changes?
Cropping it made it so much better and the rain drop feels more precarious.

---------- Post added 06-29-21 at 01:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aerolycea Quote
I really like this just the way it is; very nice and bright photograph. You should definitely continue with these raindrop compositions

Thank you. My fear was that I would over process and ruin it so i just stuck to the basics of LR and PS. I have several captures from last year that I made with my K-S2 of rain drops. I might could get a series started.
06-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reading everyone's comments and digesting, I have cleaned up the image and edited it to an 18x12 crop that I am pleased with and am sharing the web version with you all. Thanks so much for all of the advice and info.
I like it, a lot. Keep up the good work.
06-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done