Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Lots has already been said about stacking and light. Sometimes, showing the surrounding of the bug helps the composition (giving it a bit more story/context) and the added bonus of extra DOF. In this case, it is a pity that one of the antennae is out of the frame, but overall this is a brilliant attempt.
Thanks for the positive comments- I agree completely about the framing, I'm still learning how to capture the required detail I expect from a macro shot using the equipment I have and, crucially with the Raynox, which lenses it pairs best with.

---------- Post added 07-11-21 at 08:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fayssal Quote
Beautiful shot, what a creature !
It makes me want to start macro photography.
I'd recommend trying my route, get a Raynox lens, I'm using the 250, but seen many good images with the 150, and can be had cheap via eBay or similar sites. You won't regret exploring the tiny life in our world.

07-13-2021, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Great colors. The K-S1 sensor helps... it's very good with this kind of color.

For this kind of picture I find that f16 or even f22 works best - and now I know why some macro lenses allow you to go to f32... and interestingly I find that when working in macro distances, for some reason diffraction doesn't seem to be that obvious.

Of course, when you are talking small apertures like that, you almost have to use flash, and that changes the dynamics of how you capture the images, as well.
07-19-2021, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
I've been experimenting with macro shots of invertebrates since I started photography, and composition is still something I'm working out with these subjects, as often the shot presents from above.

I felt happy with the colours and general exposure, however I'd appreciate some guidance on what to work on for the next attempt.

And of course, a general critique is always welcome
Love the colors. And the sharpness too! Nice shot. I understand the issue of presenting from above on macro. But this really shows some unique details.
07-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Great colors. The K-S1 sensor helps... it's very good with this kind of color.

For this kind of picture I find that f16 or even f22 works best - and now I know why some macro lenses allow you to go to f32... and interestingly I find that when working in macro distances, for some reason diffraction doesn't seem to be that obvious.

Of course, when you are talking small apertures like that, you almost have to use flash, and that changes the dynamics of how you capture the images, as well.
Flash is really difficult I find, especially with beetles and bugs- I'm looking forward to getting a ring flash and seeing if that helps.

Agree about the colours- this sensor seems to produce 'bright' images and strong hues which I like paired to vintage glass.

---------- Post added 07-19-21 at 11:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnt1r11 Quote
Love the colors. And the sharpness too! Nice shot. I understand the issue of presenting from above on macro. But this really shows some unique details.
Many thanks for the kind comments John1r11, I was really happy with the outer shell details it captured and those vibrant hues. They are living gems!

07-19-2021, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Flash is really difficult I find, especially with beetles and bugs- I'm looking forward to getting a ring flash and seeing if that helps.
I haven't done macro in a while but when I was doing some I thought flash would be more difficult than it actually is. I usually used some kind of diffusion even if it was just a blank piece of paper over the built-in flash (the things you do on a low budget...) - never bothered an insect. I think they probably thought it was a lightning somewhere.
07-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very iridescent.
07-19-2021, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #22
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree about the colours- this sensor seems to produce 'bright' images and strong hues which I like paired to vintage glass.

---------- Post added 07-19-21 at 11:01 AM ----------

Many thanks for the kind comments John1r11, I was really happy with the outer shell details it captured and those vibrant hues. They are living gems!
Flash for macro is easier than you think. I find tele flash much more complicated. Ring flash is, IMHO, not the best source of usefull light for macro. Every glossy surface (notably eyes) all have the circle of light reflected. Buy a pair of cheap manual flashes with an infrared or ultrasound trigger. Close down your lens, set your ASA to the minimum and start photographing. In a short while you'll have it all figured out, namely what power setting and f/stop you use for a certain portrait size

08-07-2021, 06:26 AM   #23

Speaking as a total novice I would say you had a great photo. I really like it.
A lot of the advice given has gone over my head but it all seems relevant.

I think the most important person that needs to like it is yourself, although the general consensus is that it is liked by us all.
Well done on taking such a good photo.

Gary
11-16-2023, 10:28 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
I've been experimenting with macro shots of invertebrates since I started photography, and composition is still something I'm working out with these subjects, as often the shot presents from above.

I felt happy with the colours and general exposure, however I'd appreciate some guidance on what to work on for the next attempt.

And of course, a general critique is always welcome
I think the colors are lovely. If anything, more depth of field would be nice- though that is difficult to achieve in such close up shots.