Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cable Tensioners
Lens: Sigma 300mm F/4 APO Tele Macro Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Bloomington, MN ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

So two years ago I took a picture of one cable tensioner on the old Cedar Ave. bridge and got some feedback so this is this year's attempt. I went out hoping to shoot some egrets but they decided to not show up so I played around with a somewhat abstract somewhat minimilist shot of 3 cable tensioners. I only had my 300 with me and was standing on the other side of the bridge so this is as wide of a shot as I could get. I do like this one better but looking for others' thoughts.

07-14-2021, 01:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like minimalism. Your composition is nice. Love the contrast and materialistic approach. The background color works well.
07-14-2021, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I like minimalism. Your composition is nice. Love the contrast and materialistic approach. The background color works well.
Agree, one more thought experiment would be to turn the camera 45Deg and try to get the cables in the diagonal .
07-14-2021, 05:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Agree, one more thought experiment would be to turn the camera 45Deg and try to get the cables in the diagonal .
I had done that with the one I took 2 years ago. If I had a different lens I could have played more but with only the 300 the bridge is only so wide limiting how far back one can get.

07-15-2021, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is interesting. I like. But ... it is very embarrassing that the top and bottom are very pressed to the edges. I want to add half the space between cables

---------- Post added 07-15-21 at 02:07 PM ----------

And it can be flip horizontally. The restriction on the right side is psychologically perceived as wrong
07-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
It is interesting. I like. But ... it is very embarrassing that the top and bottom are very pressed to the edges. I want to add half the space between cables

---------- Post added 07-15-21 at 02:07 PM ----------

And it can be flip horizontally. The restriction on the right side is psychologically perceived as wrong
I agree. Getting the attachment points completely in the image would have been nice. Although I do realize the issue was what lens was available.

As for flipping - rules are made to be broken. I see nothing wrong with the right side being closed off.
07-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
So two years ago I took a picture of one cable tensioner on the old Cedar Ave. bridge and got some feedback so this is this year's attempt. I went out hoping to shoot some egrets but they decided to not show up so I played around with a somewhat abstract somewhat minimilist shot of 3 cable tensioners. I only had my 300 with me and was standing on the other side of the bridge so this is as wide of a shot as I could get. I do like this one better but looking for others' thoughts.
Such a mundane object - yet a stunning photo.

07-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the colors, patterns and textures. I do think the crop at top and bottom should have allowed for the brackets on the post to be fully in the frame , cutting off objects throws off the final result, IMO.

Another idea would be using a square crop, a picture like this could be an album cover.
07-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I like the colors, patterns and textures. I do think the crop at top and bottom should have allowed for the brackets on the post to be fully in the frame , cutting off objects throws off the final result, IMO.

Another idea would be using a square crop, a picture like this could be an album cover.
I had similar thoughts on the framing but due to only having my 300mm with me I couldn't get farther back unless I was falling off the bridge. It is a shot I want to go and redo in the near future using a shorter lens like my S-M-C 200/4 Takumar or D FA 100/2.8 WR Macro so that I have some more options for framing. I do like the thought of using a square crop but still would have like to have a bit more space above and below the cable tensioners.

But ... it is very embarrassing that the top and bottom are very pressed to the edges. I want to add half the space between cables
I wanted that as well but couldn't manage with what I had at the time. That is probably the biggest issue I have with the image and kind of wanted to see if others had it as well or if it was just my somewhat broken mind finding an issue where there really wasn't one.
That is something I hadn't thought about before but is something I will probably consider in the future. I am planning on reshooting it as it is only a short drive and instead of only going with gear for birds at a distance bringing all my stuff.
07-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Sublime
07-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I quite like the symmetry of the composition and the background contrasts nicely against the shiny tensioners. Very nice overall!

I do think the crop is a little too tight on the top on bottom. I think it would work well if the rest of the welded anchor points (don't' know what they are actually called) were visible.
07-19-2021, 07:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

nice minimalistic picture.
I would just prefere to have the same amount of empty space at the top and bottom
07-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. After reading through them my thoughts were inline with others' thoughts on what to do to make it better. It should be fairly nice this evening so I may go and see about doing what I actually wanted with this image. The suggestion about diagonal was one I didn't expect but is something I will probably undertake as well since it isn't that hard to go and roll the body when shooting.

I do like to shoot otherwise mundane objects and see if I can get a good image out of them. I find it to be a good exercise in seeing and composition which is something I have been trying to get better at. Noticing odd numbers of things is one thing I have really been working on as they do make for interesting images but I do struggle to find them. Another is repetition which this image does have.
07-29-2021, 03:17 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Went back and reshot it using the D FA 100/4 WR Macro. Of all the edits I did I probably like this one the most:

However I did play a bunch of now have an album for the original shot and various methods of processing them. This was a fun image to process lots of different ways.