Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunset from Flinders Peak
Lens: HD Pentax-DA 16-85 ED DC WR Camera: K3 II Photo Location: You Yangs, Victoria ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F10 

I initially tried to use HDR for this shot but the wind caused odd artifacts with the branches. So I used the best exposure for the shy and proceed to go from there with Lightroom. I am reasonably happy with the result but I feel there is a little too much of a halo effect on the rocks on the left. I have tried reducing vibrance, saturation etc but I am unable to completely remove it.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Images

07-22-2021, 06:09 AM   #2

It looks totally over saturated to me, especially in the distance area. It seems to be making for a weird HDR effect. The foreground rocks look good and I think the sky even works though a bit oversaturated. It may be me but if that middle area was toned down a bit it would work better, maybe darkened up a bit? I don't really get a Halo effect while looking at it.
07-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcshellyg Quote
It looks totally over saturated to me, especially in the distance area. It seems to be making for a weird HDR effect. The foreground rocks look good and I think the sky even works though a bit oversaturated. It may be me but if that middle area was toned down a bit it would work better, maybe darkened up a bit? I don't really get a Halo effect while looking at it.
Thanks, I will look at the saturation.
07-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #4
5ks
Pentaxian

I'd say this one is - among the millions of sunset photos - nicely a bit different.
Most probably a lot could be done to finetune from this or totally otherwise from the original, but still - nicely different. A great scenery is a solid basis, of course.

07-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
I'd say this one is - among the millions of sunset photos - nicely a bit different.
Most probably a lot could be done to finetune from this or totally otherwise from the original, but still - nicely different. A great scenery is a solid basis, of course.
I agree with 5ks' comments!
Yes, there is a bit of halo, as you pointed out, but very minimal, and with the sun directly behind that spot, it isn't at all bothersome.
Interesting take on an interesting scene; could be left just as is.
Angky.
6 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree the saturation is too intense for my taste- the yellows and greens are clashing for the eyes attention. I would be interested to see what the image could be like with the greens desaturated in the fields.

Composition is nice Bruce!
6 Days Ago   #7

To me as well, the colours are too saturated. Have you tried going 180 degrees and convert the original exposure to black and white?

4 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree that saturation is a problem - have you tried other ways to PP, such as Luminar
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I came across this article regarding this type of problem. Getting Rid Of Those Nasty Glows (Hint: Ya gotta use Photoshop) - Lightroom Killer Tips

I have not had a chance to try it yet as I am busy reorganizing my lightroom catalogue and backing up thousands of images to a very slow external HDD. I will certainly give it a go and take account of the comments re saturation although I have noticed the glow still present in desaturated images. I think it is more of a problem of heavy exposure adjustments. In a day or two I will be in a position to redo my editing and post some results.

Tanka again for your advice.
2 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

Love not just the colors but also the lighting of the foreground. Beautiful overall.
2 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I initially tried to use HDR for this shot but the wind caused odd artifacts with the branches. So I used the best exposure for the shy and proceed to go from there with Lightroom. I am reasonably happy with the result but I feel there is a little too much of a halo effect on the rocks on the left. I have tried reducing vibrance, saturation etc but I am unable to completely remove it.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
I really like the composition and the contrast of colors. I, also, feel it is a bit oversaturated and that maybe the middle portion could use a bit of de-hazing. Any halo affect of the left is not noticeable to me. Overall a very good pic that with the small tweaks I mentioned, would look great hanging on a wall.