Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Story Of A Tree
Lens: Pentax HD DA 16-85mm ED DC WR Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Forbes NSW ISO: 560 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F9.5 

For some reason, this section of the tree trunk demanded to be photographed. I have a feeling I should have shot this with my 100mm Macro rather than the 16-85mm zoom I had on the camera at the time. No PP other than cropping to include just this part of the trunk, and to exclude any background.

EDIT: Does the little bit of processing done in the lower version improve the image?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by K2 to K50; 07-28-2021 at 08:01 PM.
07-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quiet a lot going on there. Interesting shot.
07-29-2021, 01:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Does the little bit of processing done in the lower version improve the image?
I think so, although I would prefer a tad less contrast (or brighter blacks, depending on what you did in post)
07-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really interesting. Looks like a tree within a tree.

07-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting "togetherness" of trees!
I don't recognize the tree. Is it something from Australia?
Good capture of an interesting arrangement.
I like the PP on the second shot.
Angky.
07-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the processing in the second shot. Maybe try darkening the top right part of the image to focus the view towards the center.
07-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would agree with the processing improving the image, although maybe something in-between the two would produce the finest result? It's a telling story of human interaction with the tree from the cuts to remove less desirable stems.

07-30-2021, 10:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
Quiet a lot going on there. Interesting shot.
Thanks - it is certainly a crowded group of pruning actions

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think so, although I would prefer a tad less contrast (or brighter blacks, depending on what you did in post)
I must confess, I have only very recently started trying to do more than crop, so have a long way to go before understanding what I am doing with any other kind of PP.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Really interesting. Looks like a tree within a tree.
I found it a fascinating conglomeration.

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Interesting "togetherness" of trees!
I don't recognize the tree. Is it something from Australia?
Good capture of an interesting arrangement.
I like the PP on the second shot.
Angky.
Thanks - no idea what kind of tree it is, I think some kind of gum/eucalyptus: if anyone wants to help out on that, here is a link to a shot of the tree:
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I like the processing in the second shot. Maybe try darkening the top right part of the image to focus the view towards the center.
Heh .... I repeat my reply to @othar, " I have only very recently started trying to do more than crop" and have no clue as to how to do any kind of PP on only part of an image. Fiddling around with adjusting exposure on the whole image has been a new challenge!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
I would agree with the processing improving the image, although maybe something in-between the two would produce the finest result? It's a telling story of human interaction with the tree from the cuts to remove less desirable stems.
Thanks for the interest and comments - attempting a half-way step might be a challenge for me: as it is, I thought what I had done was a very small adjustment!!!

Here is a link to a hi-res JPEG version of the original, and a high-res JPEG of the modified version for anyone interested.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjVmtgRrpNeukwKnxkU9BGEFXVUo?e=cwoPt7 (WARNING: Give OneDrive at least a count to 5 or more before the images are fully rendered on-screen)

PS I am only(??) using the Ricoh Digital Camera Utility V5.9.2 at the moment. I have downloaded a trial version of the latest DXO Photolab, but it will not currently handle K3 iii DNG files, so not doing much with that, although this Tree shot was taken taken with the KP.

Again, thanks to all of you for your comments and interest.
08-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Heh .... I repeat my reply to @othar, " I have only very recently started trying to do more than crop" and have no clue as to how to do any kind of PP on only part of an image. Fiddling around with adjusting exposure on the whole image has been a new challenge!!!!
It's actually not that hard - select the area (I like the polygon selector, but you could use the lasso). Then any changes you make only affect the area that you have selected.

One hint - make sure the edges of the selection aren't noticeable in the final image. The best way to do that is to follow along existing boundaries. That's why I like the polygon selector, you can take time to choose the next point, rather than doing the whole thing freeform in one shot.
« Cycad | Espelettia »