Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2021, 09:56 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dandelion Fluff
Lens: Sigma 300mm F/4 APO Tele Macro Camera: K-3ii Photo Location: White Tail Woods Park ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F8 

What is it about this image that so many people like? As in I have had a lot of requests from friends and family to have a large high quality print made of it. The little extra I charge for the print beyond what it costs has now covered the cost of purchasing the lens used to shoot the image. I think it is a fine image and in black and white is rather striking but there are lots of other images I've taken that I think are way better.

07-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has great symmetry as well as great detail that is evident against the black background. I can see why people desire a print.
07-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The depth of the black background makes the fluff appear to float- the individual seeds are crisp with a wide range of them in focus, that and the fact I could see this working great at various distances makes it a fine pic!
07-30-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's already been said, and also including the "dynamism" that is coming from the precise central points flowing out dynamically into the long, precisely curving, overlapping, but not-confused filaments around the edges.
Wow! I can't get it into words without a huge mouthful; the image says it in one immediate statement!
Angky.

07-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It really is quiet fascinating. Glad I got to see it!
07-31-2021, 11:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling it was with the radial symmetry as well as the pop from doing it as a B&W image. While I've thought it was a fairly good image I just never thought it was as outstanding as others seem to think it is.
07-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I can see why it’s been a popular image for you! Very nice
If I may ask more about the image. I have a Tamron adaptall 60-300 which I think does pretty impressive macro for what it is. Makes me wonder if that lens would be capable of capturing an image similarly.
That is a single image, not a stack?
It sounds like this image was captured in the field. How did you achieve the black background?

Off camera flash?

Thanks in advance. I hope it’s ok to ask.

07-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I can see why it’s been a popular image for you! Very nice
If I may ask more about the image. I have a Tamron adaptall 60-300 which I think does pretty impressive macro for what it is. Makes me wonder if that lens would be capable of capturing an image similarly.
That is a single image, not a stack?
It sounds like this image was captured in the field. How did you achieve the black background?

Off camera flash?

Thanks in advance. I hope it’s ok to ask.

Single image, handheld, looking basically straight down at almost the minimal focal distance, no flash. The black background was achieved with post processing in RawTherapee and GIMP with a lot of channel and contrast manipulation the straight down view and still shallow depth of field at f/8 meant the the grass and leaves were a nice green blur compared ot the substantially more white fluff. Having one part of the image be basically all in one color channel makes doing this type of B&W conversion fairly easy. I also did that with my B&W cable tensioners shot where again that background was a nice green blur. The Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro isn't a true macro but is close focusing with a minimal focus distance of about 4 feet and I think it gives a max 1:3 reproduction ratio so when I am shooting straight down the focal distance is probably in the 4.5 to 5 foot range. For handheld images with the longer glass my general approach is to blast away with high continuous shoot mode and pick the best as usually there is at least one really good crisp one in a buffer's worth of shots. Electrons are cheap and the added memory card wear is minimal compared to doing astrophotography where one shoots hundreds to thousands of shots per camera per night. I've actually tried for this shot several times getting better with each after seeing a similar one that someone posted to one of the monthly contests a few years back and thinking that was neat and something I could try. I forget what that one actually looked like so lately I have been trying to create an image that I have seen in my mind's eye since with only a general idea of what I wanted. A lot of that required finding one with good separation between the head and the ground and grass which was somewhat problematic at times. The other issue I've had was that the camera would focus too deep or not deep enough into the fluff so the depth of field didn't cover what I wanted.

As far as if your Tamron 60-300 could capture a similar image, possibly if it gets close to a similar reproduction ratio at the long end meaning a similar minimal focusing distance. I don't know about that lens so I really can't say but the vertical aspect of the image is basically what was captured on the frame with only minor vertical cropping to get it better centered.
07-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for the information about capturing this image. My Tamron is also not a true macro but is does go to 1:1.55 I believe so I think that should be more than enough. The post processing is interesting and more in depth than I’ve done (I use a slightly older version of Lightroom mostly) but perhaps with some tinkering I can see what it’s capable of.
Thank you so much!

I also liked the b&w version of the cable tensioners and find it impressive that you were able to get rid of the background which contained a lot of different shades of mostly green, without much (to my eye) altering of the appearance of the metals.
07-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Single image, handheld, looking basically straight down at almost the minimal focal distance, no flash. The black background was achieved with post processing in RawTherapee and GIMP with a lot of channel and contrast manipulation the straight down view and still shallow depth of field at f/8 meant the the grass and leaves were a nice green blur compared ot the substantially more white fluff. Having one part of the image be basically all in one color channel makes doing this type of B&W conversion fairly easy. I also did that with my B&W cable tensioners shot where again that background was a nice green blur. The Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro isn't a true macro but is close focusing with a minimal focus distance of about 4 feet and I think it gives a max 1:3 reproduction ratio so when I am shooting straight down the focal distance is probably in the 4.5 to 5 foot range. For handheld images with the longer glass my general approach is to blast away with high continuous shoot mode and pick the best as usually there is at least one really good crisp one in a buffer's worth of shots. Electrons are cheap and the added memory card wear is minimal compared to doing astrophotography where one shoots hundreds to thousands of shots per camera per night. I've actually tried for this shot several times getting better with each after seeing a similar one that someone posted to one of the monthly contests a few years back and thinking that was neat and something I could try. I forget what that one actually looked like so lately I have been trying to create an image that I have seen in my mind's eye since with only a general idea of what I wanted. A lot of that required finding one with good separation between the head and the ground and grass which was somewhat problematic at times. The other issue I've had was that the camera would focus too deep or not deep enough into the fluff so the depth of field didn't cover what I wanted.

As far as if your Tamron 60-300 could capture a similar image, possibly if it gets close to a similar reproduction ratio at the long end meaning a similar minimal focusing distance. I don't know about that lens so I really can't say but the vertical aspect of the image is basically what was captured on the frame with only minor vertical cropping to get it better centered.
I appreciate the carefully detailed description of your process. Thanks for letting all of us read it.
Angky.
07-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My Tamron is also not a true macro but is does go to 1:1.55 I believe so I think that should be more than enough.
Yes that lens will be able to capture a similar image.

The post processing is interesting and more in depth than I’ve done (I use a slightly older version of Lightroom mostly) but perhaps with some tinkering I can see what it’s capable of.
I like to help others improve and if I can share info I will. I'm not in competition with you and don't make a living off of photography so it isn't like I would potentially be doing myself some harm by sharing. I do it as a hobby and if friends or family want a print I will get them one at a very modest markup. I do that as I have one family member who is a professional artist and know that devaluing art actively harms them and others as it sets a precedent for high quality at low cost.

I also liked the b&w version of the cable tensioners and find it impressive that you were able to get rid of the background which contained a lot of different shades of mostly green, without much (to my eye) altering of the appearance of the metals.
That comes from having a good understanding of the tools one uses to edit and how different things behave. You could probably replicate similar things in Lightroom but both GIMP and RawTherapee are free opensource tools so they are a low monetary cost option. They both have a much steeper difficult learning curve than Photoshop or Lightroom but for what I do I find they better suit my needs.
08-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #12
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling it was with the radial symmetry as well as the pop from doing it as a B&W image. While I've thought it was a fairly good image I just never thought it was as outstanding as others seem to think it is.

I understand what you are saying, and perhaps I have found one of the reasons
why some images are much more popular than others of the same subject.
This image, like a few other photos every photographer remembers, allows us
to identify what it is, yet also lets us interpret the image as something else.
I believe painters call that interpretative abstract. In photography it can be
a hyperrealistic image of something that is very obvious, and yet looking at it
it can represent something else, often more powerful.
And we like to come back to enjoy how our mind tricks our vision.
08-04-2021, 05:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
I understand what you are saying, and perhaps I have found one of the reasons
why some images are much more popular than others of the same subject.
This image, like a few other photos every photographer remembers, allows us
to identify what it is, yet also lets us interpret the image as something else.
I believe painters call that interpretative abstract. In photography it can be
a hyperrealistic image of something that is very obvious, and yet looking at it
it can represent something else, often more powerful.
And we like to come back to enjoy how our mind tricks our vision.
This. Couldnt have put it better. Wonderful image and worth a large print.
12-09-2021, 12:55 AM   #14

Dandelions are king.

What is it about this image that so many people like? As in I have had a lot of requests from friends and family to have a large high quality print made of it. The little extra I charge for the print beyond what it costs has now covered the cost of purchasing the lens used to shoot the image. I think it is a fine image and in black and white is rather striking but there are lots of other images I've taken that I think are way better.
I had the same response with my shot.
Lens was Tamron 90mm Macro. 272E.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beautiful shot! love the look!

---------- Post added 12-09-21 at 09:15 AM ----------

The symmetry to it very captivating and as its something so common and typical giving it a different point of view makes it feel special!