Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2021, 10:08 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
St Marco Sunrise - Venice
Lens: HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Venice ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F9.5 

This is a panorama stitch of 12 vertical images @ 55mm . Each image was exposed for 30sec with a 6 Stop ND . The long exposure was to get the Gondolas in blur as much as possible.

Last edited by vijaykishan; 08-07-2021 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added description
08-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote

This is a panorama stitch of 12 vertical images @ 55mm . Each image was exposed for 30sec with a 6 Stop ND . The long exposure was to get the Gondolas in blur as much as possible.
You must really take long vacations for such exposures. You really nailed the exposure. How do you balance the exposure between takes ? All in all your shutter spent at least 6 min open during the fastest changes of light conditions of the the day ?
08-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
You must really take long vacations for such exposures. You really nailed the exposure. How do you balance the exposure between takes ? All in all your shutter spent at least 6 min open during the fastest changes of light conditions of the the day ?
Thanks Peter. I was waiting from 4:30am onward for the sky to hit that tint of orange. I did a manual exposure for all frames in the pano and ensured a bias by at least -2.5 stops to compensate for 6 mins. K1 is very good at pulling details from the shadows, so that was the gambit. I had every thing lined up, ND, composition, leveling etc. I used the pano head with notches dialed in for 50mm FOV as well. From then on, it was click and turn as soon as I could. after this pano, I practically packed up and went home - that was it, golden minutes over and the tourists started pouring in.
08-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Intriguing bit of work!
And a nice composition.
Angky.

08-07-2021, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember when I was young and hairy reading an article about triple exposure of RBG on slide film. Exposure was measured and divided by three, snd each third exposed through each, a blue, red abd green filter. When by coincidence your exposures were about right, everything that hadnít moved showed nearly normal colors. Water, foliage and people were composed of RBG blotches. That sounds like something you would (and could) figure out. It should be much easier (and cheaper) than slide film in digital.
08-08-2021, 02:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
I remember when I was young and hairy reading an article about triple exposure of RBG on slide film. Exposure was measured and divided by three, snd each third exposed through each, a blue, red abd green filter. When by coincidence your exposures were about right, everything that hadnít moved showed nearly normal colors. Water, foliage and people were composed of RBG blotches. That sounds like something you would (and could) figure out. It should be much easier (and cheaper) than slide film in digital.
very interesting indeed, although I need to re-read your comment and wrap my head around the concept. I had actually planned to do a pixel-shift pano when exposure set to 30Sec, but figured that with the very-slow writing speed on the K1 this would be impossible to complete the pano on time. Thanks again for your comment Peter, much appreciated.
08-08-2021, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
but figured that with the very-slow writing speed on the K1 this would be impossible to complete the pano on time.
SD card write speed would have been insignificant compared to total exposure time.

Great image. Interesting concept. I wouldn't have aimed at as much blur as possible for the gondolas because gondolas are hallmark of Venice and should, IMO, have a significant weight in the scene. I would have chosen a shutter speed something like 2 to 6 s. exposures, not more.

08-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice scene. Lots of set and work to create. Thanks for posting.
08-09-2021, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Thank you for taking time and posting a very thougthful comment and critique. much appreciated

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
SD card write speed would have been insignificant compared to total exposure time.

Great image. Interesting concept. I wouldn't have aimed at as much blur as possible for the gondolas because gondolas are hallmark of Venice and should, IMO, have a significant weight in the scene. I would have chosen a shutter speed something like 2 to 6 s. exposures, not more.
"Insignificant" is IMHO a rather subjective word; I was pointing out to the slow writing speed of the K1 in pixel-shift mode which takes (approximately) 2.5X times the time it takes to write a non-pixel-shifted frame. My frustration comes from the fact it doesnt start exposing until it completes writing the entire buffer to the card, irrespective of what the exposure time is. In a condition where the light is changing fast, this becomes significant (for me) irrespective of whether I'm clicking a pano or not. In the end, for this pano, you are mostly right, 30 seconds * 3 exposures per frame * 12 frames, is a long exposure time, but gets worse when the write speed of K1 is accounted for.

Yes, Gondolas are indeed the hallmark of Venice, recognised in most pictures out there; I could even say that Gondolas have become iconic. That is the precise reason that they can be recognised even when blurred, that particular shade of blue on them is exactingly uniform. The aim was to deliberately blur the gondolas to infuse a sense of motion juxtaposing the stillness of the water created by long exposure. In a sense, to create a modicum of physical dynamism to go along with the dynamic the light contrasted by the stillness of the water and the other motionless elements in the image. My hope was/is, that it would-be/is seen that way.

There are other pictures in my repo that do have the Gondolas sharp, of course. One of them is here

I thank you again for taking the time to comment

Last edited by vijaykishan; 08-09-2021 at 01:12 AM. Reason: web browser issues
08-09-2021, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was pointing out to the slow writing speed of the K1 in pixel-shift mode which takes (approximately) 2.5X times the time it takes to write a non-pixel-shifted frame. My frustration comes from the fact it doesnt start exposing until it completes writing the entire buffer to the card, irrespective of what the exposure time is. In a condition where the light is changing fast, this becomes significant (for me) irrespective of whether I'm clicking a pano or not
Pixel shift would show a lot of artifacts if the light changed between exposures, likely be the case with 30 s. exposure time per frame on a sunrise or sunset. You make the right decision to not use pixel shift in this case.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-09-2021 at 04:59 AM.
5 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pixel shift would show a lot of artifacts if the light changed between exposures, likely be the case with 30 s. exposure time per frame on a sunrise or sunset. You make the right decision to not use pixel shift in this case.
You are right, I tried PS in the dolomites with moving elements - was not too convinced with the result :-/ .
5 Days Ago   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

There are other pictures in my repo that do have the Gondolas sharp, of course. One of them is here
The stitched long exposure pano is super interesting and impressive, imagining the outcome in the first place no less than the final execution.

But for just looking at, I actually really like this one, with the gondolas just there in front of the waterfront building (I guess that's St Marks?)
And those wispy wings of clouds rising above...great!

Last edited by WileyB; 5 Days Ago at 11:30 PM. Reason: noticed gorgeous clouds :-D
5 Days Ago   #13
Pentaxian

Beautiful.. I generally don't like frames that wide, but it seems that your shot would back it up. The exposure is great, giving a 4th dimension to the capture, while the composition enhances the spacial perception. Timing was surely right. Excellent work.
5 Days Ago   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice sunrise! I can feel the air
5 Days Ago   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
The stitched long exposure pano is super interesting and impressive, imagining the outcome in the first place no less than the final execution.

But for just looking at, I actually really like this one, with the gondolas just there in front of the waterfront building (I guess that's St Marks?)
And those wispy wings of clouds rising above...great!
You are right about the challange with imagining the pano before investing precious golden-hour time into one. Thankfully arriving at the scene with a decent smartphone helps , I've embraced the pano feature on my phone to get a glimpse into what it can look like with the SLR - of course one still needs to map the focal length and other parameters esp is a multi-row pano is planned.

The buliding in the picture is not St Marks, it is AFAIK St George's church (San Giorgio Maggiore) , which is located opposite to the St Marks. St Mark's plaza where the photo was clicked. Yes the Gondolas offered a pleasing foreground to complement the clouds. I was delighted in all the ways I could deploy the ol "boring" 24-70.