Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

First attempt on flying Swans

I am still trying to learn how I could take shots of flying birds or moving objects in general. Here are my first tries from the Weekend.

Lens used was the DA 50-200 Kit Lens + K20D. I had the Autofocus on CFS and only the center AF Point selected, Spot metering was set as well.

I wasn't actually prepared for taking the shots, it was only when my wife said look over there, when I hectically grabbed the Camera out of the Back and tried to follow them while they where passing us.

I think that these kind of pictures are in general tough shots and I didn't expect them to turn out well at all, what really annoyed me is the background of the shots, undefined and somewhat blurry.

So here they are, your input and comments are much appreciated.

Name:  swans1.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  swans2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  swans3.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  swans4.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  68.2 KB

Note: They looked slightly better in the Full size version.

12-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
How strange it may sound for these kind off shots its best to have all your af points in use. Otherwise your AF will hunt between the bird and the background.

Search for a background with low contrast, low evening light works fine. If you shoot against the sky you should aply a correction. Spotmetering is also not good average is better. You just will not be able to keep the centerpoint on the bird therfore ist best to use all af points and have average metering.

happy hunting

Guido

Last edited by Geyst; 12-04-2008 at 01:30 AM.
« Robin | Red Sky »