Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
Closed Account

Star Trails

Star Trails. This time with the Asahi Pentax M-100mm Macro f4 lens. Still, I'm getting an "uptick" at the end of the trails. Not sure what causes that. I even covered the lens at the beginning of exposure and right before the end of the exposure (without touching the camera using remote with 3 second delay).... I"m told the uptick is actually during the beginning of the exposures that I've been taking. I know I need to get something in the shot besides "just" the star trails to make it interesting... Comments please...

10-19-2021, 12:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the surface the tripod is on stable? Something like wooden decking could move as you walk away.
I've taken long exposures in boggy ground and found that my walking away caused the ground under the tripod to shift and blur the exposure.
10-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where in the sky were you pointing the camera (or what direction eg somewhat north), and are you in the northern hemisphere?
How long an exposure? guessing maybe 20 minutes?

I suspect the "uptick" is at the start of your exposure - possibly vibration caused by the mirror movement (assuming a DSLR) or post-shutter vibration that lasted a few seconds.

Did you have the mirror locked up?
How solid is the tripod head and tripod - was it thoroughly locked down?
Did you move the camera on the tripod at all just before this? The head may be sagging to a rest position.
10-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
Is the surface the tripod is on stable? Something like wooden decking could move as you walk away.
I've taken long exposures in boggy ground and found that my walking away caused the ground under the tripod to shift and blur the exposure.
I have a 1 gallon jug of water hanging from the tripod for weight. Perhaps my walking caused it, but it shows up in every pic taken about the same.

---------- Post added 10-19-21 at 11:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Where in the sky were you pointing the camera (or what direction eg somewhat north), and are you in the northern hemisphere?
How long an exposure? guessing maybe 20 minutes?

I suspect the "uptick" is at the start of your exposure - possibly vibration caused by the mirror movement (assuming a DSLR) or post-shutter vibration that lasted a few seconds.

Did you have the mirror locked up?
How solid is the tripod head and tripod - was it thoroughly locked down?
Did you move the camera on the tripod at all just before this? The head may be sagging to a rest position.

In Eastern U.S. - W.Va., pointing north.

I also suspect it's something like mirror movement. I didn't have the mirror locked up - that would probably solve the problem, will try that next time....

Thanks

10-19-2021, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I have a 1 gallon jug of water hanging from the tripod for weight
That should help with vibration, but if it's swinging in any way that could also be the source of problems.
As a rule I tend to shoot on a 2 second timer and move back from the camera each shot, so would be likely to see any disturbance at the start of the shot.
ProfessorBuzz's suggestion of tripod sag seems a good place to look too.

A quick measurement of the length of the tick relative to length of star trail should give you a good guide to duration of this effect which may help with diagnosis
10-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I know I need to get something in the shot besides "just" the star trails to make it interesting...
Well, this is the critique thread, not trouble-shooting thread, so you said it all for that part.

I don't have the patience for this type of shot...