Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2021, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dancing with the Dolomites - Sunbeams and Autumn trees
Lens: Pentax 24-70 2.4 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Dolomites Italy ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F9.5 

11-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do love that backlighted fall foliage in low key!
Mysterious! Especially with the rugged mountain skyline silhouetted against the descending sun.
Angky.
11-05-2021, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, artful looking shot. It has such a nice natural/part wild look to it.
11-05-2021, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I upped the contrast and highlights, and lightened the shadows a bit to raise the overall brightness. Some of the cloud detail is lost but the trees and rocks pop.

11-05-2021, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I upped the contrast and highlights, and lightened the shadows a bit to raise the overall brightness. Some of the cloud detail is lost but the trees and rocks pop.
Now I see it as a fantasy land, sorta like Tolkien's writings. Really cool!
Since the sky has dropped out a bit, you could crop the top off of the image--just a bit above the top of the two largest peaks that frame the sun. I think you wouldn't lose any of the mystique of the image.
Just dropping an idea, in case you wanted to tweak it again just to see what you get.
But that's just something to try if you like trying stuff to see what you get.

Both images are good, and both have their own sense of mystique (to me).
Angky.
11-06-2021, 04:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

SpecialK - Thanks for taking the trouble of modding it, it indeed looks better. In parallel, I seem to have released the same and took a similar approach of bumping up the low-lit areas, I also added a GND to balance out the clouds. Thanks again.
11-06-2021, 04:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Now I see it as a fantasy land, sorta like Tolkien's writings. Really cool!
Since the sky has dropped out a bit, you could crop the top off of the image--just a bit above the top of the two largest peaks that frame the sun. I think you wouldn't lose any of the mystique of the image.
Just dropping an idea, in case you wanted to tweak it again just to see what you get.
But that's just something to try if you like trying stuff to see what you get.

Both images are good, and both have their own sense of mystique (to me).
Angky.
Indeed SpecialK did a brilliant job pulling up the low-lit areas and adding contrast. Believe it or not, I had Rivendell in mind

11-06-2021, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Tough image to expose snd balance. A tad more light and you blow the cloud detail; a little less and you kill the shadows. A neat image to get lost in. Reminds me of good music, which you have to listen to many times, because you discover something new with each listening
11-07-2021, 03:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
Tough image to expose snd balance. A tad more light and you blow the cloud detail; a little less and you kill the shadows. A neat image to get lost in. Reminds me of good music, which you have to listen to many times, because you discover something new with each listening
Couldn't have put it better words myself. Even with all the expanded DR in the new sensors, the scene was so dramatic that I had no hope of getting this shot, unless the set up was on a tripod and bracketing shots were taken. unfortunately this was a hand-held shot so that was out of question.

A old song, a nice wine and a beautiful scene is all one need ;-) - Thanks for your thoughtful comment Peter - appreciated
11-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love these Dolomite images. Looking at the comments I like SpecialK's brighter foreground but I prefer your sky.
11-28-2021, 06:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Love these Dolomite images. Looking at the comments I like SpecialK's brighter foreground but I prefer your sky.
I'm working on a better version and hopefully will incorporate your comment - thank you.