Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2021, 04:37 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dancing with the dolomites - Autumn reflections
Lens: Pentax 24-70 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Dolomites Italy ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F11 

A panorama stitch of 7 vertical frames at 70mm.

11-06-2021, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice stitching and blending.
And very nice autumn colors!
The water was mirror calm; very early morning?
If so, then you must have been moving the pan head pretty quickly to keep up with the light changes.
Angky.
11-07-2021, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Veryt nice image. The colours are just right!
11-07-2021, 03:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Very nice stitching and blending.
And very nice autumn colors!
The water was mirror calm; very early morning?
If so, then you must have been moving the pan head pretty quickly to keep up with the light changes.
Angky.
Thank you very much and you are right. The lake was absolutely still, nestled in the midst of gigantic mountains helps, I suppose. It was indeed early in the morning and I arrived a hour or so earlier and set up the composition and equipment for a pano shot. There were some wisps of clouds a few minutes earlier which disappeared much to my chagrin, with the clouds the scene would have been more dramatic. Yes I lugged the Nodal Ninja Ultimate and that helped to click the shots in quick succession without much fiddling in-between. I would have attempted a pixel-shift pano, if the K1 were to be faster in writing speed.

All said, even without taking pictures, the place was just magical. Thanks for your thoughtful comment - appreciated.

11-08-2021, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a beautiful image and a lot of work. What do you do with these trophies ? You print and hang them ? Do you build a portfolio ? Are the goals of digital images different from photography ?
11-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Veryt nice image. The colours are just right!
Thanks PJ1.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
That is a beautiful image and a lot of work. What do you do with these trophies ? You print and hang them ? Do you build a portfolio ? Are the goals of digital images different from photography ?
Thank you, Peter. I think I'm trying to build a portfolio, a small one at that. I want to believe that the goal of such an image is multi fold; some petty, some laughably lofty and some mundane.
Petty in the sense of, allowing the hubris in me to believe that such a vast incalculable beauty canbe captured if enough pixels are thrown at it; that said, sometimes, I do likejust zooming into one part of the pano just to appreciate the detail, the way the leaves hang above the crystal clear water with the backlight; a boulder precariously perched on top of another over the mountain. The delicate reds rendered by the morning sun. The autumn leaves just floating on water without any movement,etc. My attempt at trying to capture the feeling of being there,however technically correct with the flawless stitching and multitude of bracketed frames, inexorably falls flat, I know. But gets me a step closer, to recall the feeling - that is satisfying enough for me, for now.

Lofty in the sense,when this image is hopefully seen and appreciated by enough people, the Dolomites might get more protection and resources to be preserved for some more time (It is already an UNESCO protected site BTW). I’m also seriously considering releasing some of these pictures as copy-left to enable/allow people who want to print it large and appreciate/enjoy it the way I probably can never do in my humble abode.

The mundane bit comes in with the pano gear that I had lugged, so maybe somewhere in my own mind I wantedto justify the effort :-P . I might have missed a few opportunities of clicking better single frame picture by committing to the pano set-up. Cant have everything can we ?

Thoughts ?

Last edited by vijaykishan; 11-08-2021 at 08:29 AM. Reason: ispel-ling mis-tikZ
11-08-2021, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

You make several interesting points. The motivation to photograph in many photographers stems from the desire to share with others the way we see the world. If you don't share it - to me - practicing it makes little sense, like playing music only you will hear.
I have always considered a portfolio is a must, to set your goals and make sense of your work. It is your compass and your logbook.
If one photographs nature I believe it is part of our responsability that our work helps carry a message of respect and love of nature. I believe that every time one can contribute illustrating any graphic material that conveys this message one is leaving behind more that one is taking.
What we leave behind should have permanence. You expressed very poetically the emotional meaning of an image. THAT is the artistic part of the photograph. It should remain for others to see and enjoy. Not as a digital file on a computer, but as an object of beauty, amazement or wonder. If it is worth hanging, it is worth printing.

11-10-2021, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote

Beautiful photo, excellent stitching, lovey result.

That said, what does stitching 7 verticals at 70mm get you that you wouldn't get with a single horizontal capture at 24mm? Honest question.
11-11-2021, 01:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Beautiful photo, excellent stitching, lovey result.

That said, what does stitching 7 verticals at 70mm get you that you wouldn't get with a single horizontal capture at 24mm? Honest question.
one word answer : Detail

Slightly longer answer :

1. The ability to print large with most/minute details intact, increases (depends on viewing distance of-course)

2. The possibility of making individual imgaes from crops of the pano (while still keeping enough pixels in the image), which one may NOT have noticed during the time of caputure increases. Do note that when the light is changing fast and there is not enough light yet, composing individual pictures might be difficult with a tripod/head etc

3. The feeling-recall factor of a highly detailed (giga-pixel) pano (for me at least) is much higher than an individual wide angle image. I tend to zoom into an interesting part of a pano, and still see beautiful details, but when I do the same with a wide-angle, the effect is not the same

4. Optical peculiarities of (some ?) wide angle lenses can be mitigated/eliminated (resolution loss at the edges, foreshortening, distortions which afflict wide-angles more)

There are plenty of challenges with the panorama images - wont get into all of that, but the primary one is movement in the scene. For this image, everything was so still, it was too tempting NOT to attempt a pano. I do have wide-angle single shots of the scene as well - I'll try to share them later.

Hope it helps and I'm sure others in on this forum can chime in.

Thank you for taking time to comment and glad you liked the picture PocketPixels

Last edited by vijaykishan; 11-11-2021 at 01:55 AM.
11-22-2021, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A wonderful shot. I envy that I was not able to visit such beautiful places. Want a little more space above than below
11-22-2021, 07:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
A wonderful shot. I envy that I was not able to visit such beautiful places. Want a little more space above than below
Thanks for the comment Fdooch, appreciated. The dolomites are a wonderful place, I had not visited that place till recently, and I'm glad I did; maybe you should too.
11-23-2021, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote

This gets better the more I look at it. It's symmetrical, but not completely. Every element of the photo contributes something, with nothing extraneous. Nice work!
11-24-2021, 02:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
This gets better the more I look at it. It's symmetrical, but not completely. Every element of the photo contributes something, with nothing extraneous. Nice work!
Thanks very much wheatridger, glad you like the composition, this was orginally a 8 frame pano, in the end I had crop a frame's worth of pixels to get the symmetry in order.
11-26-2021, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful shot. Great composition and lighting.
11-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Wonderful shot. Great composition and lighting.
Thank You JimS - it was indeed wonderful, I did not have to do much, nature did most of the stuff. I was just fortunate to be there