Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2021, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Arrival of Winter
Lens: HD DA 21 Ltd Camera: KP Photo Location: Golden, BC ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F11 

Not a terribly interesting photo, but all thoughts are welcome here...

11-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't call it uninteresting. I can see this is progressing towards full snow cover (time to pack away the bear spray). Post another one when you have full coverage. It is a novelty for me.
11-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ask yourself what’s the brightest part of that photo, because that’s where your eye tends to go. Which is why I’d suggest burning the sky down a little to keep the eye looking around the middle at what’s of interest.
11-09-2021, 06:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I wouldn't call it uninteresting. I can see this is progressing towards full snow cover (time to pack away the bear spray). Post another one when you have full coverage. It is a novelty for me.
Thanks Pete, we had a dusting the day before, but woke up to about 2-3" yesterday. I don't think this snow will stick, it's still early, but we'll see. I'll certainly share some shots once winter is truly here.

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Ask yourself what’s the brightest part of that photo, because that’s where your eye tends to go. Which is why I’d suggest burning the sky down a little to keep the eye looking around the middle at what’s of interest.
Ah thanks! That is not something I considered* at all, but it makes perfect sense.

*to be honest, I don't really consider anything in post processing, I just mess around

11-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agree with what StiffLegged said.

It's actually a pretty interesting image to me as it is. But maybe that is due to my interest in the scene itself.
Yet, if you thought it uninteresting, that slight bit of variation in dark and light--especially the clouds--will enhance it.
A bit of enhanced contrast in the clouds coupled with some increased contrast (or slight darkening) in the clump of deciduous trees (poplars?} just left of center.
Maybe a tiny bit of darkening with contrast along the ridges of taller grasses that run right-left in "ridges" across the image.
I like the shot, though.
Angky.
11-10-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like this image, with good contrast, and a good depiction of early winter. I would consider cropping out some of the sky, maybe change to a 16:9 aspect ratio. I just scrolled your photo up on my screen and to me it looks better with less sky.
11-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think you probably needed to walk out another 40 meters or so, or use a longer lens.

11-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Agree with what StiffLegged said.

It's actually a pretty interesting image to me as it is. But maybe that is due to my interest in the scene itself.
Yet, if you thought it uninteresting, that slight bit of variation in dark and light--especially the clouds--will enhance it.
A bit of enhanced contrast in the clouds coupled with some increased contrast (or slight darkening) in the clump of deciduous trees (poplars?} just left of center.
Maybe a tiny bit of darkening with contrast along the ridges of taller grasses that run right-left in "ridges" across the image.
I like the shot, though.
Angky.
Thanks for the pointers

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I like this image, with good contrast, and a good depiction of early winter. I would consider cropping out some of the sky, maybe change to a 16:9 aspect ratio. I just scrolled your photo up on my screen and to me it looks better with less sky.
Interesting! I purposefully put more sky and cropped to 4:3, I felt like trying to show the more grey/dull sky, but I see where you are going

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think you probably needed to walk out another 40 meters or so, or use a longer lens.
I tried a few different spots fore and aft, and settled here, but I could see that working too
11-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This I agree. The decision to render this image in B&W is correct. The texture is very good and adds to the overall image.
11-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
This I agree. The decision to render this image in B&W is correct. The texture is very good and adds to the overall image.
Thank you - looking again now with the less sky and wider ratio, I'm seeing it. Wasn't much colour there to begin with before B&W
11-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Thank you - looking again now with the less sky and wider ratio, I'm seeing it. Wasn't much colour there to begin with before B&W
And here I was thinking about suggesting a touch of cropping at the bottom (with a resulting wider ratio, as well). It somehow feels like there's a bit too much foreground, but otherwise I wouldn't change much. I like the sorta low contrast between the gray sky and the snow.
11-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And here I was thinking about suggesting a touch of cropping at the bottom (with a resulting wider ratio, as well). It somehow feels like there's a bit too much foreground, but otherwise I wouldn't change much. I like the sorta low contrast between the gray sky and the snow.
Yeah this was the best balance I could come to with editing, in my mind. As far as cropping, guess I better take some off the top and the bottom... make a fake pano
11-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
make a fake pano
Hey, as long as it looks good, no one's gonna worry about what you left out
11-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

My "fake panos" done with my K-1 are larger than the real panos I used to take with my 6 MP sensors or even some 12 MP panos. High resolution has made an awful lot of compiling panos obsolete.